1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
Background - I currently have a Springfield TRP and three Kimber 1911's and find myself jonesing for a Dan Wesson or Les Baer.

The black finished DW Valor and the Les Baer Premier II are closely priced.

I don't shoot a bunch, maybe every other week or so at my farm and I don't always shoot pistols.
This is a pistol to have, shoot, admire and maybe pass down to my nephews when the time comes.
It will not be a carry gun. I have others for that.
I handled one DW in SS and was really impressed. I've never handled a LB.

Resale value down the road is not much of a consideration as I never sell guns I purchase.

Are there any compelling arguments for one over another?
I realize this is the DW forum and some may be biased so I'm positing the same question on the LB forum.

Thank you for any responses!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own both guns and in my opinion, the Valor is the nicer gun. The PII is excellent, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the Valors more clean and simplistic style and it just simply feels better in my hand. Either way you go, you'll have an outstanding weapon that will last a long time. My vote is for the Valor though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
LB all day long and never look back. They are not in the same league.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't know about not in the same league but the valors are very nice or at least my vbob is.Just go check them both out and see what you like better.They are both great gun's.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Aside from looks - take a look at the features to see which one fills your needs.

The Valor will have fixed sights, night sights, a more aggressive checkering, a melonite finish also known as their "duty treatment".

Most of the P2's I've seen are, adjustable sights, most do not have night sights, and I believe a less aggressive checkering. They are also finished in Blue (unless you come across one with different specs).

Neither have MIM parts if that matter to you. They both use minimal amounts of cast parts. One looks cleaner, another looks classier.

Hope that helps you make a decision.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have both that I bought within 30 days of each other in late 2011. Before those purchases, I had briefly held a LB PII but bought the Valor sight unseen based largely on the comments from the 1911 Forum. While I like both guns and shoot them regularly, the Valor has at least twice as many rounds through it than the Baer so that probably indicates which one I prefer.

If you haven't held a Baer, you may want too as the dimensions of the frame, front to rear, are just enough larger on the Baer, as compared to the other 5 1911s I have, to make it different in the grip. Also, the Baer has 30lpi checkering and the Valor has 25 lpi and that may affect your choice. At least on my two guns, the Valor had the better trigger out of the box. Both have run perfectly using all my handloads and are very accurate. My old eyes cannot do them justice in the accuracy department.

I won't be selling the LB anytime soon, but it is going to be sent to Alchemy Custom, who built a gun for me earlier this year, for some tweaks that will make it a little more to my liking.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Valor is very good. JMO but I think the Baer is a better pistol.
Have to decide for yourself. Valor is good enough it could be anyones favorite.
I like the Baer better than the Valor, esp. w/ some good grips.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Baer is a fine pistol but you are going to have to put a lot of rounds through it to get it to feel as nice as the Valor is out of the box. I have owned the Baer, now own the Valor. I might very well buy another Baer but I think this is a pistol that works best for those who are prepared to shoot it a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I have.and had several of each.

One is not "better" than the other.

I like each for different reasons.

My PII was a strictly target pistol until I had night sights but on for carry.

My Valor/VBOB were carry guns from day one. They are just as accurate in my hands as the Baer. (And I am pretty decent with a pistol.)

I have Ransom rested Baer's and the new Valors. Not a hairs difference that is worth mentioning.

Absolute PURE collectable. IMO...Baer.

For a shooter and to carry...Valor/VBOB/CCO/Guardian.

IMO!!!!!! DO NOT mess with Baer Commache and Stingers unless you send them and $200 to a real smith to fix.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Odonn, I've owned four Baers and two Dan Wessons. Others have undoubtedly had a lot more experience with both Baer and DW and are more qualified to comment, but I did have the opportunity to familiarize myself with finsh, fit, function and overall build quality of at least the ones I owned. All good guns. But, were I choosing between a Valor or LB PII today, unless I had to have adjustable sights, I'd go with the Valor. It would be the regular stainless Valor for me. I hear the black finish is a very good one, but all finishes wear, and I cannot renew the black finish myself. I'd prefer the stainless, which I can refinish myself. I admit I'm biased on this point though, I prefer stainless in general...ymmv

Ps, now if it was between the Valor and a stainless PII or stainless Concept V Baer, I'd have to think on that a little bit more...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
If you ask the same question in the Baer forum, you will get the fan boys telling you to buy the Baer. In the DW forum, you are going to get the fan boys telling you the DW is better. They are both good guns, but they are different. You won't be sorry with either. So, you need to decide which one has the features you are looking for.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What do you value? I had both but couldn't personally justify owning both. That's just me and me. One full size 45 is all I felt I needed. Both guns were very accurate, a joy to shoot. I preferred the single sided safety and night sights on the valor. I did not like the ambi safety and the shelf size of the safety on the Baer. And finally, I feel that if you are going to compare a Baer with a DW you have to price compare it to a stainless DW, since the Black Duty treat is heads and tails above Baers bluing. I kept the Valor, but this was how I valued the two for my needs. Both are great. I have noticed that Baers are usually always given the nod but I feel that has to do with perception and the fact that they have been there longer. Search for the post on Severns Shootout. That will give you some great info. Remember though it is only a sampling of one handgun from the manufacturers. Enjoy what ever you decide on and don't look back.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Neither is better.

Both are different and reflect different philosophies on how a 1911 should be fitted.

I own both and wouldn't give up either one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello all,
Background - I currently have a Springfield TRP
Since you have a Springfield TRP I would not get either one unless you just want to pretty up your safe, neither one will shoot any better than the TRP. I would go for the SA Pro if I just wanted a really nice 1911 JMO

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you had asked this question 2-3 years ago, it would have been LB without question. I won't take up the space here, but my last two LB's have been less than winners. However, all six of my DW purchases have rung the bell. I would go with a DW. Obviously you can't go wrong with either, I just think DW is pulling out ahead.

Agree with previous poster, your TRP isn't exactly what I'd call chopped liver.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts