1911Forum banner

Dye a Spark’s SS?

612 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  flechero
I have a Spark’s Summer Special that I won at their 50th Anniversary Celebration/Shoot. It has the carved top. I have not used it much as all my leather is black. After getting a Nighthawk Officers Bull I find that I like carrying it in the SS even though I normally use a Criterion or 55BN.

So I have been thinking of dying the top band and belt loop black. Am I crazy for doing this to a fantastic holster?

If my cover garment should blow open a little the brown band and loop seems more observable than the gun.

Thoughts?

Wood Font Gas Pattern Rectangle
Reactions: DubfromGa
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,267 Posts
I have a Spark’s Summer Special that I won at their 50th Anniversary Celebration/Shoot. It has the carved top. I have not used it much as all my leather is black. After getting a Nighthawk Officers Bull I find that I like carrying it in the SS even though I normally use a Criterion or 55BN.

So I have been thinking of dying the top band and belt loop black. Am I crazy for doing this to a fantastic holster?

If my cover garment should blow open a little the brown band and loop seems more observable than the gun.

Thoughts?

View attachment 665639
Milt Sparks said the dye will not take and you’ll end up with a mess in your hands. If you want the holster black then order one as such. Or order some black belt loops for this one. The holster is finished with an acrylic finish and it won’t take dye well after the fact.

· Registered
3,267 Posts
Thanks, after reading JD11’s post I looked at it and there is certainly a finish on it that would need to be removed first. The belt loops are not replaceable on an SS. Might just give Jim a call or text before I try anything. This one is pretty special to me and I really don‘t want to mess it up.
Just buy a new holster.

That’s the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition holster you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts