1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be picking up an EAA Witness soon, the standard steel frame "compact" model with the "wonder finish."

I decided to order this partly on strong recommendation from a friend, and after I managed to get my hands on one at a gun show to see how it fits in my hand and how the trigger feels. (My friend likes it mainly for its durability/reliability more than its accuracy.)

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Witness, particularly this model?

--The Artist

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi. I have a witness in 9mm with the wonder finish. I like the feel and the finish is everything they say it is. I bought it from a guy who kept it under a car seat for a year and the gun still looks brand new. It is accurate enough for self defense and plinking. I am sure with a little more time and some adjustable sights it could do a lot more. All in all for price and quality it is a very good choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Lou.

I got to look at my new Witness yesterday (I live in California and still have to wait a few more days before I can take it home). I like how the wonder finish looks, and how the gun feels in my hand.

The trigger is a bit rougher in DA mode than I recall the demo model being. Do you or anyone else here know how much hassle it would be to smooth and lighten it a bit? Is it a matter of having a gun smith tweak it a bit, or do I have to buy a new trigger? (I'd rather not, as my friend told me the trigger that comes with the gun is made with particularly durable meterials.)

This gun is more for occasional plinking and self-defense than for serious target shooting, though if it's more accurate than my Glock27 I'll be a happy camper.

--The Artist

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Is it reliable enough for self defense? It sounds a little like it's not a HQ gun, but I'm not that familiar with them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To present an alternative take on the Witness...I used to have a full size Witness 40S&W. Frankly, in this day and age the CZ75 design is neither fish nor fowl, meaing neither a good DA or a good SA. If you want a double action I would recommend getting one with a decocker so you can carry it as a double action. (Otherwise to carry it in DA mode you have to manually lower the hammer on a loaded chamber. Do it enough times and the odds of Murphy catching up to you are great.) Along those lines, the frame-mounted decocker a la SIG is superior to slide-mounted decockers, which get in the way both ergonomically and tactically.

If you want a single action to be carried cocked and locked the DA trigger on the Witness is unnecessary and usually gets in the way of a good trigger pull. It has way too much take-up as well. You can convert a Witness to SA-only but it is pretty much a gunsmith job to install the parts, and frankly, if that is what you decide, the Browning Hi-Power is a better SA 9mm or .40S&W, and the 1911 is a better .45ACP.

On another tack, I have friends who own them tell me the Compact is not usually 100% reliable out of the box, more so even than the full-size...FWIW.

[This message has been edited by Mark Freburg (edited 05-20-2000).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just a note; I purchased a EAA 22 cal and
its been a problem since purchase. The EAA
customer service is poor. I know they import
from different vendors and some good some bad
but no more for me, I will spend the extra and buy "name brand"

------------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to take my new Witness to the range late last week, and I have to say the experience was positive. I shot 150 rounds of "factory reload" ammo I bought in 1000-bulk at a gun show a couple of months back, and had nary a burp or hiccup.

Contrast this with my twice-as-expensive Para-Ordnance P-14*45, which had occasional feed problems with several different brands of ammo until I got it broken in.

The only thing that really annoyed me about this gun is that when the slide is in the forward position, it's difficult to insert the magazine all the way. Not a problem with the slide locked back, though.

The trigger in DA mode is no worse than other low-price DA pistols I've shot. The SA mode is actually very crisp, although I admit the take-up is a bit longer than I'd like.

I am troubled by reports of bad customer service from EAA. I hope I don't have to deal with them, or if I do, the connection I have (the friend of mine who recommended it knows the president of the import company, apparently) will make things easier for me.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll see what develops over time. This little baby is effectively replacing my Glock27.

--The Artist

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by The Artist:
...I am troubled by reports of bad customer service from EAA. I hope I don't have to deal with them, or if I do, the connection I have (the friend of mine who recommended it knows the president of the import company, apparently) will make things easier for me...
EAA *is* the import company. The manufacturer is Tanfoglio of Italy...FWIW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts