1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
early 1911 Commercial pics up!

I have a couple of questions for the early Colt experts. At a local gunshop I 'smith for an early 1911 Commercial came in that is very nice, maybe 80% condition with a keyhole lanyard mag. ( hope to have pictures of it later this week) anyway the serial was C85X and that was marked on the leading edge of the dust cover on the left side. On the opposite side the dust cover was marked government model. I thought this unusual but due to it being an first year commercial I was wondering if this is correct. Also it is obvious that this 1911 has not been tampered with in any way. I'll pictures up asap.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Early Government Model

The serial number and Government Model placement are absolutely correct, as is the keyhole type magazine. If original the pistol should have a deep blue/black highly reflective finish, and the small parts should be "fire blued", with a bright peacock blue color.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I hope the owner wasn't planning on adding a Bomar sight, beaver tail safety and ambi thumb safety. It sounds like a nice old pistol.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I thought it was correct but not ever seeing a Commercial model of that early vintage i wanted to make sure. I'm going to try and break away from my shop early sometime this week and get as many pictures of it as I can. It more than likely is going on consignment and I won't be able to afford it but good clear pictures will suit me fine. Apparently an older gentleman had recently passed and this was part of his estate, I knew something it was something good when I saw the old oily sock and old loop holster it came in. trigger, slide stop, and safety still have quite a bit of fire blue, same goes for the high polish blue of the rest of the pistol, you know that deep blue where it looks like you can reach down in it and pull out your own reflection. Grips were about perfect as well. Thanks for the info and look for pics this week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a couple of questions for the early Colt experts. At a local gunshop I 'smith for an early 1911 Commercial came in that is very nice, maybe 80% condition with a keyhole lanyard mag. ( hope to have pictures of it later this week) anyway the serial was C85X and that was marked on the leading edge of the dust cover on the left side. On the opposite side the dust cover was marked government model. I thought this unusual but due to it being an first year commercial I was wondering if this is correct. Also it is obvious that this 1911 has not been tampered with in any way. I'll pictures up asap.
I saw a first year, four digit serialed (1XXX), 1911 last week and wondered the same thing when I saw the position of the Government Model marking. Based on the responses here, it appeared to have the same features. The finish was about 70%. Price the dealer was asking was out of my reach.
Also, I received the Commander parts and thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Ray,

I would be very interested in the final outcome on this one, as I have a first year production..... 3 digit serial number, but lower..... in about the same condition...... with the original box.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Ray,

I would be very interested in the final outcome on this one, as I have a first year production..... 3 digit serial number, but lower..... in about the same condition...... with the original box.

Thanks,
Bob
Wow, you have one of the Holy grails-the earliest commercial I have is 10,4xx without the box. Oh well, :it gives me something to work toward.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts