1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I have been offered a very nice, I think early, 1911 with these engravings: Exercito Brasileiro (Brazilian Army) 24238 (serial #?) with crest, 52525 0094-949, Fabrica De Itajuba - Brasil (manufacturing facility) all on slide and frame, with 45 Auto and 7791193 on barrel (visible through ejection slot). I do not have the gun or I would show pictures. Any thoughts on the history of this gun?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's the home brewed variety of the M1911A1 pistol as made by the Brazilians. Early on, they purchased pistols off the shelf from Colts. These were Government Models with the Brazilian Crest and Exercito Brasileiro added. There's a thread below this one which has pictures of mine. Later on, the Brazilians started making their own pistols, IIRC, this was in the late 1940's or early 1950's. The barrel sounds like a replacement. What is on the frame? Many of the Brazilian slides were unloaded here after Brazil changed over to 9mm. They kept the frames and mounted new 9mm slide and barrels but ditched the .45 slides.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can you describe the type of font used to mark the serial number that appears on the frame? Even without seeing a picture, I would dare to state that the frame is an Argentinean made Sistema Colt one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts