1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked into a local gunstore I don't go into very often due to their high pricing. Laying in the shelf was a used BHP, very clean except for 3 scratches in the top of the slide, about 1/2" long and opposite side of the ejection port. The other 99.9% of the gun is flawless. After seeing the scratches I started to walk away since he had a price tag of $600.00. He said I can do much better and he did much much better. After a teardown inspection I walked out with my second BHP. I am a little unsure about some things with another BHP. It has the same Millett rear adjustable sight as my other BHP had but has a very tall front sigh dovetailed in. It has the serial number 245NX7XXXX on the barrel hood and on the front grip strap and the box has model number 2405134 next to the words Single Action. It has the larger thumb safety and it's ambidextrious.

I am thinking of sending this gun off to either Novak or to Yost for a workover. Do I have a good base gun for this and what year and Mark # is it.

Thanks for any information!!!

tex45acp

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to get out to the range today at noon, but everything went hackysuey around the office and I could not take a lunch.....sometimes it sucks being the boss.

Hey guys,
Looking into the frame from the top, with the slide removed, there is a symbol stamped or cast into the inside of the mag well near the top, ejection port side. I was wondering if anyone else has this in theirs and what does it mean or stand for. I am asking this just out of curiosity. The symbol looks like this:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
JJREA said:
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Range Report !!!!!!!!!! :dope:
Well I made it to the range yesterday. I put 200 rounds in the dirt backstop, shot metalic falling plates & even fell some pepper poppers. There was another guy there who I shot the dueling tree with. He had a Beretta 92 and I smoked him with the single action of the BHP. I then got down to some serious shooting for accuracy. I shot at both 25 yards and 15 yards freehand and here are the results. Each was shot with a full 13 round mag. Two targets had one called flyer.
I really like these Hi Powers!!!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
WOW!!!!!

Good shooting TEX!!!!!!!

My cousin told me that once when I shot a deer. But that's your forum name!!!!! :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you JJ,

I think that once I perform some trigger work done on the gun, I can tighten up the groups quite a bit. I am embarrassed about the two flyers. I very seldom have them anymore, but then this is a new gun and the trigger still has the mag safety installed. A Cylinder & Slide trigger set is required here.

tex45acp

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sir,
You appear to have found a very nice Hi-Power! If you ever tire of the adjustable sights, the Factory dove-tails are the same between the fixed sight and adjustable sight models on the Mk.III. You can order the fixed sights from Browning USA for approx. $25.00. They slide right in!

The casting-mold mark inside your frame is just that: the numbered mold used to form your cast-frame. Your frame may or may not have the "grooves" machined into the base/butt of your frame between the grips, behind the magazine-well. The earliest 1993 cast-frame Hi-Powers DID NOT have the grooves. I own an example as well, without grooves but with a cast-frame. 1993 was the transitional year for the change from the earlier forged steel frame to the newer, stronger cast steel frame. You will enjoy your nice Hi-Power for many years, good luck.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
JJREA said:
Not mine. On the other side mine has a proof mark (P with a circle around it) and a big "2".
My '95 has no markings in the frame. What year was yours made?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Belus said:
My '95 has no markings in the frame. What year was yours made?
According to several extremely knowledgable hi power folks...in was made in 1993.

tex

·
Registered
16 Posts
tex45acp said:
According to several extremely knowledgable hi power folks...in was made in 1993.

tex
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I had gathered when yours was made from reading the thread.
I find casting marks especially interesting because I studied metallurgy in school. I think it'd be fun to develop an index of different markings used in the manufacture of BHPs and their sources.

I also dream of building a custom BHP out of a specially cast frame that has equiaxed columnar grains.

The center turbine blade is an example of what it would look like. (these are probably a Nickel-Titanium or Nickel-Aluminum alloy)

In a casting with equiaxed columnar grains, all the crystals in the metal line up in the same direction, but the facets intersect the surface at different angles (though the surface is still smooth) so the light reflects off them differently.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I purchased a "T" series a few yrs. ago with Millet sights. Pull your slide off the frame and examine how the front sight has been staked. If it's like mine, expect to weld up the slide before cutting the dovetail for a new front sight. Not a real big deal, but something I hadn't anticipated. Best of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JJREA said:
I don't know, how do I find out?
Browning maintains a serial number range on their website that you can use.
http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

Also, I was mistaken. While cleaning it last night I found a casting mark on the inside of the front strap, just below the mag release. It's a small triangle/wedge/arrow pointing towards the right hand side. I'll try and take a picture of it to share later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts