1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this Colt 1911. I’m not real familiar with them. So here is my question. I looks like it has been painted. According to the serial number(between 112,000-112750) it was manufactured in 1915. I don’t think it is any kind of bluing. Almost looks like platinum dip. Any help would be appreciated. I’d like to remove the paint to see what the original finish underneath looks like. And don’t worry I won’t be using steel wool or any other abrasive. Was thinking some sort of chemical stripper.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Material property
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
7,093 Posts
I'd first try soaking in Acetone , lacquer thinner , or enamel reducer. Won't hurt metal , but will soften most paints to the point ya can scrape it off with a sharpened wooden tongue depressor or you fingernails.

· Premium Member
17,479 Posts
The slide is from a later 1918 pistol and of course it has been modified with target sights. I think the frame is worth preserving since it seems to be in good condition and the markings are very distinct.
Whatever, Citri-Strip will probably get that crud off. Once you get it off, the next concern is rust on the unprotected steel. One finish is Parkerizing. This has no polishing associated with it and only a light blast is done. Or you could have it blued over a light blast which is also called 'Black Oxide'. The barrel should be blued over a light wire-brush finish. Both black oxide and Parkerizing are economical finishes. I think the black oxide would be the thing for that one with some walnut checkered grips.
BTW, if you elect to do a finish like I mentioned, you don't have to remove the junk unless you're going to do it yourself. If you take it to a shop, their preparation will take care of the old paint.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
#1 was fixed by the forum staff.

#2 depends on how much the OP paid.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slide is from a later 1918 pistol and of course it has been modified with target sights. I think the frame is worth preserving since it seems to be in good condition and the markings are very distinct.
Whatever, Citri-Strip will probably get that crud off. Once you get it off, the next concern is rust on the unprotected steel. One finish is Parkerizing. This has no polishing associated with it and only a light blast is done. Or you could have it blued over a light blast which is also called 'Black Oxide'. The barrel should be blued over a light wire-brush finish. Both black oxide and Parkerizing are economical finishes. I think the black oxide would be the thing for that one with some walnut checkered grips.
BTW, if you elect to do a finish like I mentioned, you don't have to remove the junk unless you're going to do it yourself. If you take it to a shop, their preparation will take care of the old paint.
#1 welcome aboard. BTW you posted in the wrong section.

#2 you got a 106 year old beater. Hopefully you did not get taken.
so what would a fair price have been?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. Just outta curiosity how did you identify the slide as a 1918?

· Registered
2,918 Posts
Thanks for the information. Just outta curiosity how did you identify the slide as a 1918?
Sans-Serif font and pony in the middle.

The finish look pretty decent and refinishing will not bring back the glory of the original. If it was mine, I'd keep it as is and just change the sight back to low profile GI style if possible (but you need to check if the front sight is the infamous Millett dual-crimp type which drilled 2 big holes on the slide).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sans-Serif font and pony in the middle.

The finish look pretty decent and refinishing will not bring back the glory of the original. If it was mine, I'd keep it as is and just change the sight back to low profile GI style if possible (but you need to check if the front sight is the infamous Millett dual-crimp type which drilled 2 big holes on the slide).
No holes drilled for the front sight. I am planning on putting original sights back on it.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
The font of the US Property mark tells us that it's an earlier frame than the slide. Besides the sights the slide stop is also from a much later gun, probably post-WW2. The grip safety is post-1924. Whether or not you can easily strip the painted finish off of it will depend on what it is. Ordinary paint is easy to remove, but an epoxy or other "wonder coating" like Cerakote isn't. Current value is probably around $7-800 or so.

· Premium Member
17,479 Posts
The radius return on the front sides of the slide for the year of the pistol would've been a simple radius, or 'ball-cut' ending a little before the frame extension end. The longer curve that comes back to the frame end started between the 1917 and 1918 revisions. That, plus the pony location and type font, because there were some 1917s with a combination of these features.
You're not going to be able to correct the sights. The front one is probably brazed in and the rear one looks like the dovetail was widened. You may as well blue it and have a cool shooter for the same price as a very boring one. :)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The font of the US Property mark tells us that it's an earlier frame than the slide. Besides the sights the slide stop is also from a much later gun, probably post-WW2. The grip safety is post-1924. Whether or not you can easily strip the painted finish off of it will depend on what it is. Ordinary paint is easy to remove, but an epoxy or other "wonder coating" like Cerakote isn't. Current value is probably around $7-800 or so.
it Could be any Arsenal refinish right?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The radius return on the front sides of the slide for the year of the pistol would've been a simple radius, or 'ball-cut' ending a little before the frame extension end. The longer curve that comes back to the frame end started between the 1917 and 1918 revisions. That, plus the pony location and type font, because there were some 1917s with a combination of these features.
You're not going to be able to correct the sights. The front one is probably brazed in and the rear one looks like the dovetail was widened. You may as well blue it and have a cool shooter for the same price as a very boring one. :)
Well damn.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
An arsenal refinish would be Parkerizing which is a phosphate finish. The military didn't use paint in those days.

Reactions: AZdesert1911

· Registered
7,093 Posts
An arsenal refinish would be Parkerizing which is a phosphate finish. The military didn't use paint in those days.
FWIW, The British and some others did use paint on firearms during WWII. IIRC , the Ingles/Canadian Hi-Powers and some Webley revolvers were finished in black paint.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.