1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the military models used this mag catch up to serial 3188 but where did the commercial models stop getting this style catch?

I found one in my parts stash, didn't even know I had it, no spring or catch lock but it's in remarkable condition.
Tints and shades Gadget Fashion accessory Service Font
Grey Wood Font Electric blue Macro photography
Tints and shades Electric blue Audio equipment Font Chemical compound
Hand tool Tool Auto part Cable Electronics accessory

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I know the military models used this mag catch up to serial 3188 but where did the commercial models stop getting this style catch?

I found one in my parts stash, didn't even know I had it, no spring or catch lock but it's in remarkable condition.
MattLF9,

Clawson on page 38 in his GM book has: "Type I, concave head without screwdriver slot.........C 1 - C 350+/-". (C 9 has it.)

KIM, COLT did Not assemble the GM in numerical order.

Best Regards,

Picture from the net.
Art paint Blue Paint Azure Bird

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MattLF9,

Clawson on page 38 in his GM book has: "Type I, concave head without screwdriver slot.........C 1 - C 350+/-". (C 9 has it.)

Best
MattLF9,

Best Regards,

Picture from the net.
View attachment 623280
Not too many commercial models had them then, neat info.
My mag catch isn't nitre blue like the photo, this one has the dull smokey blue finish, I'll have to get some photos of it on here, the sun needs to shine for a good photo shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
My mag catch isn't nitre blue like the photo, this one has the dull smokey blue finish, I'll have to get some photos of it on here, the sun needs to shine for a good photo shoot.
Since the commercial (Government Models that had the fire blue and high polish went to about serial number C4000, your mag catch body with the dull finish would have come from a Military 1911 Model, but only in the serial range from about SN 2401 to SN 3188. Starting at SN 3189, the Military 1911s would have had the "Transition mag. catch which was a dimpled mag catch with a slot cut through it, and the associated mag. catch body would have had to have a slot cut through it also so the little tab on the mag catch lock would be able to be turned into the slot and it could then be removed like the final version of the slotted mag catch lock. Ordnance department gave Colts permission to use up the mag catch locks they had on hand by cutting a slot on the head. The Mag Catch Body of course would have to be modified with a slot if they were starting with first type mag catch bodies or new bodys with the appropriate slot could be made. Apparently Ordnance records do not show how many old bodies or locks were modified, but Transition mag catches have been observed in pistols up to about SN 67XX, but a cutoff has not been found much closer than at least Plus or minus several hundred numbers.
Best Karl

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
MattLF9,

Yes, the Fire Blue stopped at No. 2400.

Some believe there was a transition from the Fire Blue small parts to the later Smokey Blue small parts.? (If so, not sure when that happened.)

Here is one (No. 300X) that has that "dull smokey blue finish" or that transition color.

Best Regards,

Grey Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Since the commercial (Government Models that had the fire blue and high polish went to about serial number C4000, your mag catch body with the dull finish would have come from a Military 1911 Model, but only in the serial range from about SN 2401 to SN 3188. Starting at SN 3189, the Military 1911s would have had the "Transition mag. catch which was a dimpled mag catch with a slot cut through it, and the associated mag. catch body would have had to have a slot cut through it also so the little tab on the mag catch lock would be able to be turned into the slot and it could then be removed like the final version of the slotted mag catch lock. Ordnance department gave Colts permission to use up the mag catch locks they had on hand by cutting a slot on the head. The Mag Catch Body of course would have to be modified with a slot if they were starting with first type mag catch bodies or new bodys with the appropriate slot could be made. Apparently Ordnance records do not show how many old bodies or locks were modified, but Transition mag catches have been observed in pistols up to about SN 67XX, but a cutoff has not been found much closer than at least Plus or minus several hundred numbers.
Best Karl
Mine doesn't have the slot, that means only 788 of this style of mag catches were ever made right?
I'll get some pics of it as soon as I can, interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Since the commercial (Government Models that had the fire blue and high polish went to about serial number C4000, your mag catch body with the dull finish would have come from a Military 1911 Model, but only in the serial range from about SN 2401 to SN 3188. Starting at SN 3189, the Military 1911s would have had the "Transition mag. catch which was a dimpled mag catch with a slot cut through it, and the associated mag. catch body would have had to have a slot cut through it also so the little tab on the mag catch lock would be able to be turned into the slot and it could then be removed like the final version of the slotted mag catch lock. Ordnance department gave Colts permission to use up the mag catch locks they had on hand by cutting a slot on the head. The Mag Catch Body of course would have to be modified with a slot if they were starting with first type mag catch bodies or new bodys with the appropriate slot could be made. Apparently Ordnance records do not show how many old bodies or lo
Best Karl
cks were modified, but Transition mag catches have been observed in pistols up to about SN 67XX, but a cutoff has not been found much closer than at least Plus or minus several hundred numbers.
Best Karl

Apparently there's a security issue and I can't upload the photos??

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Mine doesn't have the slot, that means only 788 of this style of mag catches were ever made right?
I'll get some pics of it as soon as I can, interesting.
You have a very rare mag catch body, but rarity is often a two edged sword. To get any value or satisfaction, you would need to find a 1911 in that narrow range that has had the dimpled mag catch replaced with the later slotted one and either you or the owner would want to put it back in its original configuration, but even if you could find someone with such a pistol, you wouldn't have the dimpled "Lock" that is the centerpiece of the whole part. In summary, you have to ask yourself "What am I going to do with this thing?" If you sell it on gunbroker, you know that some counterfeiter will
polish it and niter blue it to make another sucker gun. I think I would keep it as a conversation piece.
Best Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts