1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hooked on IDPA. I started shooting it earlier this year and love it. I am doing about 2 local matches a month, but I am sure that will change to more next year. I also love 1911 and won't shoot anything else. I am currently shooting my Kobra which I have setup for matches (EB magwell, 10-8 sight, EB fiber optic front sight). I see a lot of guys using 9mm 1911's in IDPA. I am doing OK in CDP and was going to start reloading to get down to 200gr for the matches.
Then I saw my little local GS has a Brown special forces 9mm SS, brand new for $3100. I have seen several of these on gun broker. They have a naked slide on one side, so they don't say "special forces" but they have the chainlink III treatment. They also have a similar one in 38 super.
Do any of you have a 9mm full size Brown? How does it run for you?
Something about 9mm and 1911 to me says "feeding issues" but that is just my guess as I have no experience with it.
Or do I put my money in reloading 45?:scratch:
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My wife had the SS Special Forces III in 9mm for a while and we didn't experience any issues. However, she did not have it for long so can't say we ran a lot of rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Outside of anything to do with safety, I think that you asked the best question regarding 1911s, since 9mm 1911s are becoming increasingly popular.

9mm 1911s shoot great and ammo is cheap.

They are not as reliable as a 45 because of feeding.

Brown has not turned out many 9mms to judge from.

I have three examples from Wilson. One, a Spec Ops, has a modern 9mm short stroke action and runs like greyhound.

The other two traditional 1911s gave me fits, especially when I went to a 38 Super/9mm combo. Wilson has a 500 round break in. Brown does not, which I like as there is less of a question of what is a break in problem versus something else.

A well built 9mm 1911 can get made to run very nicely. It can take far more patience, and ammo, and time to get there than with a 45 or a 38 S. Especially if the gun starts with a 9mm related problem.

I believe that Brown will go with a round wire recoil spring in their 9mm. If so, this is a great step forward as clipping flat wire springs to make a gun work is a non-starter for me.

Next, 9mm 1911s can be picky on ammo. Most 9mm ammo is made for more forgiving, modern actions designed around the caliber.

Mags are the next problem area. MecGar have worked best for me.

Next, I would strongly advise getting an extractor removal tool to clean the extractor and adjacent area. The bore diameter of the 9mm versus a 45 can cause extractor removal to be sometimes problematic.

As long as Brown has studied this market before entering it and as careful as Brown is, I think that you have a good shot at getting a reliable gun.

When the things run, they are great fun!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Any particular reason you got rid of it?
She preferred a compact so I got her a Wilson Combat CQB Compact 9mm.

In hindsight, I should've maybe kept it for myself but I really don't shoot 9mm that much. Even for IPSC and USPSA, I use 45acp.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Irishom

do you CCW??? If so, use what ever gun you have for your CCW - you and the gun become one.

I also shoot IDPA - I see lots of 9mm also,, I think because of the reduced recoil and ammo cost.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Irishom

do you CCW??? If so, use what ever gun you have for your CCW - you and the gun become one.
I have a Kobra Carry for CCW. That is why I like the Kobra for IDPA. It has the same feel as the KC, but with a little longer slide and a little more weight to help with competition. But lets face it, IDPA is a game, not real life, so if you want to be competitive in the game you have to look for an edge. I'm thinking about the 9mm, but I keep leaning in just honing my 45 skills and reloading to get a nice competition round.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I need you guys to talk me off the ledge or push me over. I have a EB 9mm 5" with chainlink 3 on hold at my local Cabelas. They also had the same with standard checkering. I had them hold the chainlink because I like the trigger better. Both are $2999.
My sole purpose for this gun is IDPA. I currently shoot, and love shooting my 5" Kobra in IDPA, but I thought it would be fun to have a 9. I started reloading the 45 and worked up a nice 200gr load which has made shooting cheaper, so I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 9. Big reason is the internet talk from some folks who had issues with reliability of their 9mm 1911's. I want to get it, but every time I go in, something is holding me back.
I am a traditionalist, so maybe it is me saying the 1911 should only be 45. I know that sounds dumb. But the other says "what if I have issues with reliability"
My Kobra and Kobra carry have been 100% reliable.
The other voice says "9mm in 1911 will be a lot of fun"
Decisions!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
OK, I need you guys to talk me off the ledge or push me over. I have a EB 9mm 5" with chainlink 3 on hold at my local Cabelas. They also had the same with standard checkering. I had them hold the chainlink because I like the trigger better. Both are $2999.
My sole purpose for this gun is IDPA. I currently shoot, and love shooting my 5" Kobra in IDPA, but I thought it would be fun to have a 9. I started reloading the 45 and worked up a nice 200gr load which has made shooting cheaper, so I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the 9. Big reason is the internet talk from some folks who had issues with reliability of their 9mm 1911's. I want to get it, but every time I go in, something is holding me back.
I am a traditionalist, so maybe it is me saying the 1911 should only be 45. I know that sounds dumb. But the other says "what if I have issues with reliability"
My Kobra and Kobra carry have been 100% reliable.
The other voice says "9mm in 1911 will be a lot of fun"
Decisions!!!!
If you have more MONEY than good sense - Then buy away and have fun.... if you Have GOOD sense - leave that $3000 + tax gun at Cabelas ( have you ever heard of Jerry Hammond????)

·
Registered
67 Posts
LOVE LOVE LOVE 9mm 1911's

What most of you don't know about me is that I don't have a left arm. With my right arm doing all of the work, these big ol' 45's beat on it quite a bit so that when I'm at the range, I'm only good for 150 rounds .... 200 at the most.

Enter the 1911 chambered in 9mm. AAAAHHHHH!!!! I love shooting the 9's because they are just sooo smooth. We have great guns anyway but take all of that recoil out and I can shoot 500 rounds on a single trip to the range.

I have bought, sold and traded a lot of guns and have only regretted selling one gun in all these years. That gun was a fantastic Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm. Last month the guy that bought it from me told me that he needed money and was thinking about selling it. I have since changed my carry gun from the Wilson Combat CQB Professional 9mm back to that Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm.

I've also got 2 full customs being built and one of them is a 9mm. Did I mention that I LOVE LOVE LOVE 9mm 1911's?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What most of you don't know about me is that I don't have a left arm. With my right arm doing all of the work, these big ol' 45's beat on it quite a bit so that when I'm at the range, I'm only good for 150 rounds .... 200 at the most.

Enter the 1911 chambered in 9mm. AAAAHHHHH!!!! I love shooting the 9's because they are just sooo smooth. We have great guns anyway but take all of that recoil out and I can shoot 500 rounds on a single trip to the range.

I have bought, sold and traded a lot of guns and have only regretted selling one gun in all these years. That gun was a fantastic Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm. Last month the guy that bought it from me told me that he needed money and was thinking about selling it. I have since changed my carry gun from the Wilson Combat CQB Professional 9mm back to that Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm.

I've also got 2 full customs being built and one of them is a 9mm. Did I mention that I LOVE LOVE LOVE 9mm 1911's?

I also love 1911's and was close to buying a 9mm Wilson. Did a lot of research and made a different decision. Instead, I bought a new Browning Hi Power and sent it off to Novak's for some custom work. They did a great job and I now carry it. I don't want to talk you out of. 9mm 1911, but on the other hand my Hi Power has the same manual of arms, 15+1 capacity and is world renowned for it's reliability. Mine shoots like a dream and is even thinner than a 1911. I think it is something you should consider.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I forgot to mention that my customized Hi Power was not inexpensive....... I think I have about $2,300 in it at this point.

I've had unreliable pistols and I was VERY worried about sinking thousands into an unreliable 9mm 1911. Adding a hi Power to your collection would made a great addition....I love mine!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
My experience (limited to 2 9mm 1911's) is that it's not going to be as reliable as a Glock 19, right out of the box, but then neither are a lot of very expensive .45 1911s. With ammunition and magazines that work, my 9's are as reliable as anything I've got.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts