1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a set of dark grips for my SA loaded SS. I have decided on either black micarta or ebony wood. I have never seen either on an M1911. Any suggestions as far as looks. I would assume that the Micarta would wear better, but that's not my biggest concern. All opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Micarta really is tough stuff, but it looks alot like plastic..Ebony can really be pretty if it`s got a nice grain, better too see the grips before you buy..Buffalo horn is also nice...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Charles, go to www,herrettstocks.com
and look at D-45 Black Lacquer.
----------------------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I have a set of marbled ebony stocks from Smith & Alexander on a stainless steel Caspian single stack. Looks great! Call them up and see what they have. Sorry do not have a picture.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got a set of Ahrends ebony on my SA Champion, looks great even with the parkerized finish.

The grain on mine is more or less a straight hairline in a silvery-grey. Very subtle, but it's there.

Mac

·
Registered
645 Posts
Micarta is plastic, a paper based phenolic. It will not crack like ebony. Ebony will turn pitch black from hand oils if it is not that way from the start.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Ebony looks great but can be brittle. Black micarta is very strong, though more plastic looking than ebony with nice grain.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Micarta is laminated linen, under pressure with expoxy. It's bullet proof.

But you want "looks" . . . lots of exotic woods out there. You should see if you can find some birdseye maple.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts