1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw my first Eclipse! What a pretty gun. And I almost bought it. But wanted to ask a few questions to people who own one.
I was thinking of the MIM hammer and sear?
And the barrel bushing, was thinking of replacing that with a oversize one.
Is the barrel really a match barrel?
Rear sight, thinking of replacing that with a BoMar.
Lastly what is the difference between the Eclipse and the Super Match? From I can see is the mag well? thanks to all who reply.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have three Eclipses and am pretty happy with them.

MIM doesn't bother me but it really seems to bug the Hell out of some people.

Dunno about the bushing and barrel but mine are extremely accurate.

The rear sight will not directly replace with a BoMar. The Kimber uses their own little cut. A BoMar elevation screw threads into the slide. The Kimber sight threads into the sight base.

The Eclipse has night sights and I do not believe this is the case with the Super Match.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Angie

I agree with AndABeer. Don't worry about the MIM parts, MIM is a good method of manufacturing and they will stand up to a ton of shooting. The bushing is properly fit, so an oversized one on a new pistol is unnecessary. Kimber does have an issue with some of their adjustable rear sights, but they have been working on this for a while. So the bottom line for you will be to buy the pistol if you want it, and don't replace anything until it breaks, if it ever does.

AndABeer is correct the Kimber adjustble sight is different than a standard Bomar. But Kimbers are so popular that Bomar is now making a rear sight that will fit the Kimber slide cut. So if you ultimatley want to change the sight it will be easy for your gunsmith to do.

The difference between the Supermatch and the Eclipse sights, is the Eclipse has adjustable night sights and the Supermatch has fixed night sights. As you mentioned the Supermatch also has the extended magwell.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have both the Super Match and the Eclipse ll. My SM has had 2200 rounds fired thru it with only 2 failure to feed. All of these have been my reloads during IDPA matches.There has not been any signs of excessive wear on the gun inside or outside with the Kim Pro finish.I bought the Eclipse ll to use as a carry gun.I only have 250 rounds fired thru it so far 200 reloads and 50 Federal Hydra Shock's no problem's. The front nite sight went out so I sent the slide back to Kimber for repair which was done and sent back in a week's time.I don't think the finish will hold up as well as the SM but that is ok by me.It shoots almost as good as the SM in the accuracy department. As far as the reliability I haven't been able to shoot a whole lot the last 3 months due to a knee injury.The Eclipse ll cost me $700 less than the SM. Thus far I believe it will do just fine for my purposes.Good luck, ShooterJD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Str8_Shot

The difference between the Supermatch and the Eclipse sights, is the Eclipse has adjustable night sights and the Supermatch has fixed night sights.
Super Match is Kimber's finest Custom Shop pistol. It has all the features of the Gold Combat, and includes a stainless steel slide finished in KimPro and a stainless steel satin-finish frame. Also included is the Kimber adjustable sight. Tested for accuracy, the Super Match must shoot a fifty-yard group measuring less than three inches, and the test target is packaged with each pistol.

Custom Eclipse II has a match grade five-inch barrel with match grade chamber. It is the first Kimber pistol to include adjustable Meprolight® night sights.

Pro Eclipse II has a match grade four-inch bushingless bull barrel with match grade chamber. It features fixed Meprolight® three dot (green) night sights.

[This message has been edited by xtreme122 (edited 11-14-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts