1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an Eclipse Pro for just a little over a year, and have shot perhaps 2500 rounds through it. It has been a challange for me to shoot as all of my previous handgun experience was with double action revolvers, shooting mostly single action.
Anyway, I have overcome a lot of poor shooting habits and feel my stance, grip and trigger control is much improved. I still continue to shoot about 2 1/2" high at 35'. I shot one target with a rest and got 8 out of 10 shots in 1 hole 2 1/2 to 3' at 11:00 and then basically did the same thing off hand right afterwards. I don't think I am limpwristing as I shoot my friends Wilson .45 dead center at the same range.This has been the case for the last year, but I continued to attribute it to mistakes on my part. How can I get the groups to come down, wihthout taking a file to the front nightsite?
Is this gun sighted in using the center of the nightsite dot??? Ammo seems not to make any difference. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
are you placing the front sight over the target or the target at the 12 oclock position? i know both my kimber and STI are sighted in so that you cover the target with the fron sight, while my dad p220 is set up so you put the target just above the front sight (12 oclock position). not sure if this will help u, but it was worth a try

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have said how I sighted. I shoot at a 1" orange bull sticker that I put on top of the front sight. In reality, I think the gun is shooting an additional 1/2" high, because of the way I aim.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Stonecove

It sounds to me like your Kimber is sighted pretty close to perfectly. NJKimberSS is on the right track with his questions. Most fixed sights are regulated for the point of impact to be about 3 inches high at 25 yds, which will result in the point of aim being the point of impact at 50 yds.

So for the distance you are shooting at, the proper sighting technique is to use a 6 O'clock hold, or float the ball as target shooters call it, by placing the bottom of the target's bullseye on top of the front sight. Since 35 ft is almost half of 25 yds (75 ft), your impact point should be about 1.5 inches above the point of aim.

Str8_Shot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts