1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Eclipse Pro II for everyday carry and found out it was to heavy to do that, does anyone have any tips for carrying a all steel gun all day, currently i just bought a Kahr P40 for carry till i can figure this Kimber out, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
A good holster and probably belt and fitted right?

I found, just wearing a holster to get used to it, it's easy to tighten everything up too much. Once I loosened things up, my pants still stayed up but the holster disappeared. With the gun in it, it might be a different story but it sure made a huge difference and in every position, I could see where the gun would even stay in a comfortable position.

I think I've seen you post and say, but what holster are you using?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
35oz (empty) weight is twice what your Kahr weighs and will be difficult to carry without a very good holster and belt. Good means expensive.

If your tummy is larger than your belt (like many of us!) it's even harder to keep your pants pulled up with a heavy pistol tugging it down. Constantly tugging your pants up can telegraph your pistol.

I can carry a pistol of that weight much of the time, but find my 23oz Ultra Carry II much easier to carry all day long in business attire and settings. Weekends, in jeans or dockers the heavier pistol works fine.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
I've carried an early stainless Pro for years. In a Sparks VM2 with a Sparks belt, I don't even know it's there. Takes a little getting used to. Buy a pair of jeans one size up for CCW. Find the right spot. The holster is very important, the belt imperative!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
First, you can consider swapping the all steel for an aluminum framed model - that knocks off something like 7 ounces (nearly half a pound!) which makes a big difference.

That said, I regularly carry my full size Colt (37.8 oz.) fairly comfortably on a 1.5 inch gunbelt and a quality IWB holster. Makes all the difference in the world for comfortable carry. Of course, I've gone through at least half a dozen holsters to find the one that fits me right. . . Even at that, an aluminum framed 4" is WAY more comfortable to wear all day.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
35oz (empty) weight is twice what your Kahr weighs and will be difficult to carry without a very good holster and belt.
Kahr K40 weighs 28 oz (just took it off a scale that weighs to within .01 oz.).
That's 7oz. difference.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Seven ounces, half a can of Coke...
Strapped in a good holster and great belt, what's the difference?

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Tupperware guns weight about the same, in some cases more, than alum. frame Kimbers. :D I was looking at getting an XD and was surprised at the weight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya Sometimes I Wish This Kimber Eclipse Was A Aluminum Framed Gun To Save On The Wieght

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unit of measure???

Seven ounces, half a can of Coke...
Strapped in a good holster and great belt, what's the difference?
Are you confusing liquid ounces with avoirdupois ounces or am I slow and didn't get it? Now, I know its not Troy ounces, (that's Gold)...wait Kimbers are worth their weight in Gold???

Soon.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Larry...I feel your pain,I went from a Kahr CW9 to a PM40 because I wanted a bigger caliber....both guns were great to carry and the CW9 was surgical accurate for DAO pistol that small. I went from the PM40 to an ultra carry just a few days ago and I find the gun HUGE and HEAVY. I just bought a Desantis "cozy Partner" from a local shop today. The guy @ the counter whipped back his flannel shirt and showed me his and said "this is what you need"...........I was skeptical and said so and went to my car for my gun. I wore it a few minutes there and put in my pants for the ride home and I"m wearing it right now .......so far I like it a lot and I wonder why I don't see anyone singing it's praises. I mean,I know it's not a Sparks VMII , but I walked out the door with it.....and still have some cash left for ammo. I always wear a good belt and I know that will make or break any carry rig,but then again,thats why you hear so many people telling you that....it's that important. And by the way... that guy in the gunshop was carrying a lowly old Kahr CW9 in his Desantis rig........the first pistol I ever carried and gave up for greener grass. I Don't feel that way about the PM40 though...hardest gun to stay proficient with I've ever shot and I'm glad to see it gone.

I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking the VMII ,quality stuff... I just don't think it's the only answer...........my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Drive to Colorado :biglaugh: and I'll trade you a Stainless Pro Carry for your Eclipse. Save you the 7oz.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Colarodo is a long drive from Indiana.LOL I remedied my problem by getting the Ultra Aegis II 9mm so far it has been reliable with ball and Remington Golden Saber 147GR hollow points.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Milt Sparks Summer Special II, a good belt and carry two mags on your opposite side to counter balance. This set up works for me (I'm 5'-11 & 180 lbs.) and I carry a 5" Kimber a good part of the day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
eclipse pro carry weight

I've been carry mine off duty for years. No better recommendation that a good holster and a solid belt!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts