1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now carry a 3" Super Carry Ultra and was wondering what is the black treatment on the top of the slide, safety and the slide stop, etc. on the Eclipse line. The Kimber site dosen't say what it is. How durable is this black finish? I really like the idea of an all steel pistol, but very much prefer an all "silver" pistol like my Stainless Gold Match. Thanks in advance!

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
It's not Kimber's proprietary metal coating but I forget what it is (getting old is NOT what it's cracked up to be). On my 3 year old Pro Eclipse it has worn quite well especially since it has been holstered(leather) and shot a lot. It can be scratched thru but not very easily. Holster wear on the sharp outer edges of the slide release and thumb safety (worn down to bare metal on those edges).

I'm picky about the cosmetics of a handgun yet this wear is inconsequential to its looks. Looks carefully used and not abused. Wears MUCH better than Kimber's proprietary coatings.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I think it is called " Black Oxide ".
Ha, ha... That's IT, DArBad. I just knew another forum member would ride to my rescue. Good grief...when the mind goes.......!

Thanks,
Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts