1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a light rifle for the truck the will not cost an arm and a leg. I already have 7.62x39, 223 and 9mm ammo galore. I think the Siaga will use the AK mags. The Kel-Tec 223 I believe will us my AR15 mags and the KT Sub2000 9mm G19 compatible should use all the G19/17/18 Mags that I have. Defense, the wayward coyote/possum/bobcat would be the usage. What are the opinions here: 7.62x39mm Saiga, Kel-Tec Su16 Sport Utility 223 16", or Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm glock 19 mags????

·
Registered
793 Posts
Winchester Model 94 / Marlin 330

Powerful enough for 2 or 4 legs
Very low profile
Very fast gun
Very light
Common ammo sold almost anywhere / every where and cheap

less than $300 (used)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you are looking for something cheap and dependable - How about a SKS? People either love them or hate them, but I have had nothing but dependability with mine. I added a 30 rnd removable mag. and an ATI synthetic stock. It has turned out to be a cheap dependable shooter. It would give you a chance to use up some of your 7.62x39 ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Serious truck gun

If you are looking for a real truck gun, you might be interested in the Hi-Point Carbine. Its a pistol caliber gun but it comes in either 9mm or .40. I own the 9mm version and its been an excellent investment for the 180 (including FFL fees) i paid for it. Light weight and straight shooting. I havent had to call them up but the consensus is Hi-Point's customer service is 2nd to none.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39. Reliable, accurate, light, handy, cheap and legal to own in any state.

2nd choice would be stainless Mini-14 GB, perhaps in 6.8 SPC if it works and shoots well.

AR's are too expensive for the truck unless you're in it all of the time.

Kel-Tec is okay but they are not particularly reliable in cold weather.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Was about to ditto the levergun theme. I might lean more to my excellent Rossi 92 .357 if the game was smallish as described vs a .30-30 but I'm a big tent leveraction fan. If I were going semiauto, I'm sure I'd go AR carbine. I just like everything about that design.

But that CZ 527 carbine caught me. I almost bought one a couple years ago. Not many bolt guns float my boat but that one does. Just added it to my list.

·
Registered
96 Posts
An AK would make a good truck gun since I already have several, but I can't help thinking how much better a lever gun would look on the news if it ever came to that. I've never been accused of being PC, but the media in my area would have a field day if an AK was used in a defensive shooting. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Is this weapon going to be living in your vehicle or are you going to be removing it every night?

If it's going to stay in the vehicle, i'd get a soft, zippered gun case and go with a used Marlin 336 .30-30...and just not be to worried about it. They're inexpensive and not THAT BIG of a loss if it's stolen.

If you're gonna remove it every night...AR-15. :rock:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
there are many sks rifles under truckseats in the south.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I will mention 1 other fine rifle nobody has brought up. The good ole M1 carbine. 15 & 30 round mags are available for it. Not too powerfull and don't have to worry too much about over penatration in an urban setting.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
with the price of carbines now it takes it out of the economy section:(

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I gotta agree with the SKS. Jeeps of the carbine world.:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts