1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Extractor out of specs?

Examining my brand new SA Loaded, I noticed that Ed Brown HC extractor is bit too long comparing the original Springfield part. When I tried to fit the EB part, its tip just aligned with the front end of extractor cutout in the slide. It is not protruding, but it just touches the rear end of barrel.
Interestingly, I used the very same EB extractor before in my other Springfield (Mil-Spec) and it fited there just fine, so does the original Springfield extractor from the SA Mil-Spec. Both of these are the same lenght, and both are longer then the extractor from new SA Loaded (which on the other hand fits just fine to the Loaded slide). Also, the EB part is loose in the extractor funnel, so it is falling out when firing pin stop is not in place.

Hope it is not too confusing.... Now, I wanted to ask about solution, I prefer to use the Ed Brown HC extractor. Should I just file the tip, so it will not touch the rear end of barrel? Does not matter that the extractor hook is further away from the breech face than the original part?

Your advices will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
RB

few pictures of Ed Brown extractor fited in Loaded slide (with firing pin, its spring and FP stop in place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
RB

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I was going to replace my Kimber's extractor with an Ed Brown HC piece and noticed the exact same thing. The hook was too long and it stuck out of the back of the slide. I ended up retensioning my stock extractor then I refitted it (it appeared to not have been fitted properly from the factory) and used it instead.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Oh, it is only off 3 or 4 mm, which is not bad for modern super parts by makers of super guns. "Drop in" of course, after you buy a couple of dozen to find one that fits.

I wonder how they ever managed to make 3 million or so GI pistols with fully interchangeable parts? I guess they just didn't have the benefits of modern technology.

Jim

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
My advice is dress the nose of the extractor so it does not contact the barrel. Then make sure the barrel hood extension doesn't bump the extractor either. I have a Springfield that I switched to a Caspian extractor and had to dress the nose down and put a clearance on the barrel hood(bevel). The shortest extractors I've ran into have been Springfields.

Personally I'd rather have the longer Brown in the gun, less chance of a ride-over feed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you make the 2 extractors in the pic stainless instead of blue you have my Kimber extractor and my Caspian replacement. Interestingly my Colt is halfway between the 2, maybe leaning more towards the short (Kimber) side.

I just put the Kimber back in and figured I'd use it until it broke. You're supposed to remove metal from the outside of the extractor hook and the part that sticks out the slide when fitting it. But the distance of the hook from the breachface is what had me worried.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for all responses so far.

I tend to believe Ed Brown part does have the right specs, but that would mean the whole SA Loaded slide is *slightly* out of specs and they fixed it by making the extractor "custom fit". That is just my impression, as the EB part was already installed in other SA pistol and it sat there just as it was supposed to.

Judging from the pictures attached, would you really worry about the extractor hook - breachface clearance?

RB

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
RBull said:

Judging from the pictures attached, would you really worry about the extractor hook - breachface clearance?

RB
I think that it's actually better than the shorter Springfield extractor. Gives the round to be fed more "room" to slide up the breechface, or less chance of a ride-over feed (where the round jumps past the extractor during the feed cycle).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, thanks again JeffC,
I will do as you have suggested in your previous post. I will dress the tip of EB extractor, making sure it does not make contact with the barrel and then take it to the range to see how it behaves.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I've had both a C&S and a EB in my Colt '91, and they were longer than the stock piece, too. The thing that bothers me is not contact with the barrel, of which there is/was none, but the hook climbing the case bevel. The hook should be in the bevel when the rim contacts the slot of the extractor, but if the hook protrudes too far from the breechface, the tip of the hook rides the bevel when the case is firmly against the breechface. When the gun is in battery, is the case firmly against the breechface? Probably not, if you have a deep chamber, but I like to load so my ammo headspaces on the bullet shoulder, which should put the case head against the breechface regardless of chamber depth.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Okay, sorry I overlooked that RickB.

RBULL, Take your new Ed Brown Extractor and when it's locked in by the f.p. stop take a round and press it against the breechface where it would be when chambered. If the tip of the extractor touches the beveled portion of the case then dress the extractor down there as well. If you run into this problem you'll notice little "dinks" on the bevel of your brass. Just dress the extractor down enough that the contact is gone and all is well.

My apologies for not including that earlier :eek: .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Point taken, I just tried that and there is very slight contact between the extractor and case bevel when I press the case agains the breachface. I had to use magnifying glass to spot that little contact area, as it was hard to tell with naked eye.
Just on the sideline, the extractor seems to be tensioned just right, it holds the round in place, but let loose when the slide is lightly shaken.

Thanks again, this is briliant example why 1911forum is the best! :)

RB

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Jim Keenan said:
Oh, it is only off 3 or 4 mm, which is not bad for modern super parts by makers of super guns. "Drop in" of course, after you buy a couple of dozen to find one that fits.

I wonder how they ever managed to make 3 million or so GI pistols with fully interchangeable parts? I guess they just didn't have the benefits of modern technology.

Jim
Jim
on the first part I am inclined to disagree. many parts made by many shops are + / - .001 or .0015
3 mm is .117 Clearly your playing a little :)

over 3 Million guns. and the parts interchange.
Now that is pretty KooL

Hall aparently made some of the first Gages to make interchangable rifle parts at Harpers Ferry in 1820's and machines to produce these parts.

the prints and gages used to make the 1911 were defined very well and for one gun one cal.

Today we have what? a dozen manufactures that make 3 or 4 size firing pin holes alone when they make 45's let alone supers or 40's or something.

The distance from the bolt face to the FP stop cut varies on slides from different manufactures in the same cal. even the cut out itself changes from brand to brand. The width of the bolt face in the same cal are all over the place. Std. barrels are a different diameter at the chamber than a match barrel.

Drop in 1911 parts should be added to Military intel, Govt efficency, Browning HI power, and a Little pregnant. ;)

Kunhausen publishing prints in his books of Military prints has probably done some good to standardize parts though. and to allow people to chech the parts they are buying.

geo

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
To take-up where Geo left off;

If you check your trusty gov't model blueprint of the extractor, measured from the pin stop slot to the tip, it's 2.320" +.008 max.

Which means, the maximum length it can be, and still be in spec, is 2.328", the shortest, 2.320

Every 'Ed Brown' extractor I ever measured hits 2.324, EXACTLY in the MIDDLE of the tolerance range, where Ed wants them to be.

Geo is correct; if you found a Brown, Caspian, EGW......part.... off by more than .001 and a half, that be A LOT.

Problem is; if you check the minimum dimension of the slide, from the bolt face to the pin stop, some are real SHORT. I could dig-out the prints and check the slide, but its a waste of time, because you can only work with the slide you got!

Pete

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
So, what do you do when you run into a "short slide"?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Flip a slide over
measure from the bolt face back to the face the FP stop rests on.
you will see a range of sizes. +/- .012 would not surprise me in the least.

Check using the same spot on the bolt face each time, perhaps 1/8 from the bottom down to clear the radius and bevels from brand to brand that are also different

geo

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check out SVI they are making their own extractors now and I think they have several improvements over other manufactures. It's not on the Web site yet. I found out that my new gun will have one of the new ones.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts