1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me if Ed Brown magazines are gtg magazines for daily duty use and multi weekly shooting ? Are they considered top tier magazines? 9mm and 45acp. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Are they top tier magazines? Top 3 made?
That's an opinion call. They are good. Where they rank among all 1911 magazines, is hard to say.

Here's our "Best 1911 Mag" thread Best 1911 Mag?

You probably won't see the Ed Brown brand mentioned, but CheckMate mags will be mentioned. They are the same product, though CheckMate offers a bunch of different options. The Ed Browns are specific models of CheckMates, though they aren't unique to Ed Brown.

I have a bunch of CheckMate mags. Most are excellent, though I prefer some designs over others.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Check this thread out:

I posted links to the Checkmate versions of EB mags.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I have used EB mags for years and find them to be an excellent product in fit, materials, construction and function. I’ve never had a problem.
But, then again, I’ve used a number of different mags through my 45 years of shooting - all without a problem.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
I have used EB mags for years ...
Brown changed suppliers fairly recently to CheckMate (it's not months, but it has only been a few years since they made the switch). Probably one reason you don't see many recommendations for the Ed Brown mags in our "Best Mag" thread since it was closed in 2017.

I don't know who they used before CheckMate.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Brown changed suppliers fairly recently to CheckMate (it's not months, but it has only been a few years since they made the switch). Probably one reason you don't see many recommendations for the Ed Brown mags in our "Best Mag" thread since it was closed in 2017.

Thanks for the info.
I’m more than happy with my ‘old’ EB mags - all perform A1.
I put them on par with my Tripps, CMCs and off the shelf Checkmates.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I think Brown has used Checkmate for quite a while. At least since 2010. At the same time, they were using Metalform for their 8 round "8 Pack" magazines.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’m very happy with my Checkmate mags for my CCO and Goverment models. Ed Brown must confident enough in these mags to do their trade in program. I’m sure they’re also making money on it somehow as well

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
In 9mm, Wilson ETM mags all day every day. I was also a big fan of Tripp mags in 9mm until I discovered they could not run my hollow points. They quite literally failed on every single round (Wilson CQB and Federal HST's). YMMV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts