1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that there are alot of people on here putting alot of money into their 1911's. They all seem to be putting some type of Ed Brown part on them. This leads me to believe some of his parts are of a very high quality. Are his guns in the same class? Are they worth the money?

And Ed, sir, ummm, your greatness, if you are reading this, I am not posting to offend, I am mearly trying to justify the cost of one of your 1911's.

So what's the real story about his guns? I think I have stared a hole in the screen from looking at that Classic Custom. An all stainless model, with a standard mag catch and without the checkering would be nice.

Or would it just be better to buy a 1911, have it worked on for reliability, a few tweaks on the trigger (4.5 lbs), throw an ambi safety and call it a day.

G

·
I have a Classic Custom. In my view, the Brown guns are exceptionally well made. They don't sell stainless slides, or at least they didn't through last week. However, You can get a stainless frame. If you're thinking of spending something in the $2500 to $3000 price range, I think the Brown's are an excellent choice.
Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The Browns are a step up from a Wilson or Baer or other production custom (I own 'em all). They are well made and well fitted, noticeably so. Of course you have to like the Brown components, as you won't get a Wilson beavertail or safety fitted to the Brown! Personally I like Brown components, but they're not for everyone.

The upside is the quality of fit and finish, and the quick availability (60-90 days). But they are expensive and for just a few more bucks you can go for a full custom from a big-time smith. But for the full custom you need three things - time, money, and you have to know what you want - which may be the hardest part. Knowing what you want comes from shooting a lot.

My advice is to make friends with someone who has one and will allow you to shoot it. Then make a decision.

Oh yeah, you won't have any trouble getting your money back out of a Brown. That's not always the case with custom work, unless it's from a known high end smith and you can prove it.

Jim

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 08-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had an Ed Brown Custom Classic several years ago. Never shot it, but it was a beauty and of the highest quality. Unfortunately I sold it. Fortunately I didn't lose any money. This is one of the positives of a gun of this type.

I now have several Wilsons, which are wonderful pistols. I also just ordered an Ed Brown Class A Limited. Same gun as the Custom, but not as shiny a slide.

Seems as if price goes up exponentially with quality. The Brown is a little nicer than the Wilson, but you have to decide if the added cost is worth it to you.

If you do get an Ed Brown, you will not regret it. Great company. Ed will talk to you personally and answer any questions that you may have.

So, in my opinion, the Brown is a great deal if the price is not too steep for you. This coming from one who has owned one of his pistols, but never shot it and just ordered another. I do have two of his Savanna rifles, and they are top notch. Far superior to several Dakotas that I have owned.

Good luck in your quest for a fine 1911.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts