1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done one of these? Is there any reason to think it wouldn't be a straight forward bit of work using the fixture in Brownells? BD

·
Registered
106 Posts
The fixture is ok but be sure to measure twice, or three or four times, and cut once. I find that using a caliper worked for me to plot out the critical measurement for the relocating of the bobtail housing hole in the frame. The Brown bobtail is a really nice piece with extra material to blend into the sides of the frame. Top notch stuff!:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
files work fine. this was done w/a bastard file to remove most of the metal, pillar swiss file and some emery paper for final shaping/polishing, and cold blue for finish.

Jared

·
Registered
767 Posts
Jared, what did you use to machine the MSH pin hole, did you use a mill or a drill press?
Also did do the grip panels yourself?

·
Registered
262 Posts
just a drill press, used a #2 center drill (actually a #2 countersink) to start the hole. yes, did the grip panels myself, just a bastard file and then some 200 grit sandpaper to finish the surface, wood stain to match finish.

spent most time and sweat trying to position the mainspring jig and frame properly. The ed Brown drilling jig worked well, but a real table with T-slots and a step block and clamp set would've made life easier then my collection of crappy C-clamps...

Jared

·
Registered
262 Posts
congrats. radar's suggestion about measuring twice, and then a few more just to be sure, is well put. my biggest problem was clamping the jig and frame to the drill press table so they were really rock solid without moving the jig (and frame) out of alignment with the drill. if you've got that really locked down, you should be fine. post some pics when you're done!

Jared

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
Used a Bridgeport and the appropriate indicators, edgefinders, centerdrills, drills, and reamer.

Then finished it with thstones and fine paper, then the glass bead.

If you are going to do it, take your time and do it right. You can take the material off real easy, but it's a bitch to put it back on.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts