1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading mixed reviews on the quality of the customer service of several semi-custom 1911 manufacturers on different forums, including this one, I wasn't sure what to expect today when I called Ed Brown to ask about adding a gold bead front sight to an Executive Target that I just bought at my LGS.

Not only did he tell where they get theirs (Novak), but he provided me with the exact dimensional specifications (depth of dovetail, height above slide, angle, width) so that I could order the correct one, which I did. We then discussed everything from the characteristics of the Gen III coated finish (ultrasonic cleaning is just fine), to break-in, to returning the gun to Brown for more custom work and the pricing structure, firearms shipping and how Brown could help with that, and more. Justin was thoroughly knowledgeable; he had all the info right at his fingertips. Additionally, he was pleasant and accommodating, making several helpful suggestions.

Granted, I was not calling about a problem, or requesting warrantee work; that certainly has the potential to alter the dynamic of the conversation. Nonetheless, it was definitely one of the better customer service dialogs I've ever experienced.

YMMV. Just thought I'd share...

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bet you were talking with Justin. Fine young man who is a first rate Customer Service Representative. Ed not only builds great 1911s, he has great and knowledgeable people working for him...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tgun45: Yes, it was Justin that I spoke with. I referenced him by name when I posted this review in a different thread on this forum, but I guess I inadvertantly removed his name when I re-worded my original post for this new thread.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=4782922#post4782922

I also wrote a quick email to Brown, just giving credit where credit is due...

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
LongColt,

I agree.

As a reader of this sub forum since 2005, and a user of Brown products since 2006, Brown's customer service has come a long way.

The turn around times are excellent. The employees know their product. Their customer service competes favorably with any other 1911 manufacturer that I have dealt with.

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Granted, I was not calling about a problem, or requesting warrantee work; that certainly has the potential to alter the dynamic of the conversation. Nonetheless, it was definitely one of the better customer service dialogs I've ever experienced.

YMMV. Just thought I'd share...

A few years back I had a problem with one of my Ed Browns. Cosmetic, not functional. Haven't had a functional problem with any of mine. It was handled quickly and efficiently. I couldn't have been happier. Then I called last year about a pistol that wasn't on the CA list. I was told they would not send it to CA. But was told where some where just sent and how to contact them. Bottom line, I was able to get one, sent here under another format SSE.
I give high marks to the Ed Brown CS department.

Makes me wonder about those who did complain about their CS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had heard a few complaints about their CS in the past. It's good to hear they are improving. Their guns are top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FANTASTIC customer service, and once again, Justin YOU are the perfect example of just that is, fantastic customer service. Its because of you Sir, and obviously the product, I will be purchasing Ed Brown number 5!!..........Don't tell my wife!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Improving? I can't see how it could get any better.

I've shipped my gun to them twice. Once to have the Gen III coating applied and again to fix an issue I had.

Now, this was interesting to me. The problem I had was due to comfort. There was no defect in the gun, but after 4 days of shooting at at defensive school, the gun had worn a hole at the base of my thumb (it had healed up a bit when this pic was taken):

It was caused by the sharp corner on the safety lever:

Now, anyone can see that the corner on that safety is not really "sharp". Nevertheless, I called them up. Justin simply said, "The gun should not hurt to shoot. Send it to us and we'll fix it up for you." He sent me a shipping label and I sent the gun. Two weeks later the gun showed up back at my door with a newly cut safety that is now comfortable to shoot even after many hundreds of rounds:

It is important to note that this gun was functioning perfectly. No failures and no defects. Even so, they fixed the gun up at no charge to me. That's good customer service if you ask me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am liking all these positives. I pick up my new Brown on Saturday. Looking closely at the modified ambi safety, they actually did a very nice job with the melt (plus the re-finish at no charge...).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts