1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed an Ed Brown drop-in barrel in a Springfield GI that I rebuilt. The problem I am having is that the barrel came with a link that is too long. Meaning that the barrel rides the link during lockup rather than the lugs. I have a couple of questions.

First why would the barrel come with a link that is too long for the lugs?

Second I have a spare link and lengthened the hole until contact was made between the lugs and slide stop. I found that I needed to lengthen it .006".
Should I get a -.006 link or lengthen the pin hole on the existing link.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I can't answer your question for you, but I can tell you that Fusion Firearms have a pretty good assortment of different length barrel links, and are quick to ship, that would make the most sense to me. I don't know if this any help to you or not. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
A standard link is .278" between centers. The distance between the locking or camming surface of the barrel and the center of the pin hole should be .162" + or - .002", the hole should be .1565" = or - .001", so add half that (.0632") to a direct measurement directly down from the pin surface. You may have already checked it. So, assuming the link is too long it could have just been a bad part, or a #5 that got into the wrong bin by carelessness? If the C to C distance of the link is correct then that .162" distance in the lug must be wrong, no? If it were mine I'd just get a #1 link and check the lockup, how tight is the lockup without the link in place?

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Could this be the reason that the thought keeps coming up the this forum that drop in parts seldom just drop in. If you want to have a well fit gun, then you must fit the parts. How could you get a link that is too long? Maybe other parts of your gun are out spec, or a stacking of tolerances.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bdavis385,
The problem with the link is evident just by looking the barrel even when it is not installed in the gun. Inserting the slide stop in the link and moving it through the arc produces no contact at all with the lugs (the barrel is riding the link not the lugs into lockup). I will double chech the dimensions again just to make sure the lugs are OK. If they are then I thin a shorter link will probably give me what I want.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I had that problem in a Llama .380, cute little gun. I welded the lug up with the tig and machined it. Of course if parts had been available I wouldn't have bothered, and also of course I'm half nuts to bother with a Llama anyway. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts