1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to try a new barrel in my Springfield 45 and elected to try the Ed Brown drop in barrel. When it arrived, it came complete with the bushing and was indeed a drop in fit. No filing or polishing was required. I have not fired it yet, but will be at the range this weekend. Have any of you got any experience with this barrel? Can I realistically expect an improvement in accuracy over the standard Springfield barrel?

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...AAAhhh...try it...and then write a Range Report!!!

I'm sure it'll do the job. Sometimes they need a bit of tweakin' to get the most from them...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a local gunsmith install a Ed Brown drop in barrel in a blued Colt 1991A1 last year. It shoots great and the barrel appears to be of very high quality. However, I was told it was DEFINATELY not merely a case of "drop in" installation. The guy did a great job, but I guess the "drop in" part depends upon the individual pistol.

Tim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the Ed Brown in my Springfield. Seems to lock up just fine and there is no problem with slide function. It seems to just go in as easy as the original barrel during a routine cleaning and reassembly. A sure sign will be if my primer strikes are centered. I'll check that out today at the range. I am curious as to what areas required special attention when you made your installation.

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
614 Posts
This was on a Colt Commander-
First, the hood was a bit too long; the hood would hit the breechface before the top lugs could cleanly lockup. The corners of the lugs were peening a bit. Next, the area below and between the barrel lugs had to be filed and polished to allow the barrel to completely seat in the slide lugs. Brown leaves a little material on the barrel for this purpose. Then the lower link hole had to be slightly elongated to relieve the binding that was caused with the slide stop inserted. And finally, the slide stop pin would strike the radius of the lower lugs while camming up into position. A little shaping was done to let the lugs rotate around the pin and seat n the proper place.

Addmittedly, these were all rather small adjustments, but took some time none the less. I suspect that these barrels are designed to accommodate a wide range of tolerances. I'm actually quite pleased that it didn't just "drop in" as I am now certain that I have a tight, well fitting lockup.

This gun will shoot 1.5" or so at 25 yds. That's more than I require for accuracy.

I'm sure, that many people are able to just install the barrel and fire away. After all, it is advertised as a "drop-in". I wouldn't think twice about it...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mac10,

Took the springfield with the new Ed Brown barrel to the local indoor range today. Everything that I ran through it functioned perfectly. I shot twenty groups of five shots each with an assortment of my reloads at 15 yards. All groups could be hidden behind a quarter and several would hide behind a nickle. These were shot rested on my gun bag. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the barrel. After reading your post, I checked my gun to make sure fit of the barrel was okay. Everything appears to fit snug and true. All primer hits are centered and the accuracy is great.

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mac10,I installed a Brown 10mm barrel in my Delta Elite.My experience was about the same as yours.Definately not a drop in.Like you,I'm pleased with the fit and function.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Chief:

Excellent!

For you, it truly was a drop-in barrel! I wish mine had been that easy. Maybe the next one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts