1911Forum banner

Ed Brown Executive Carry

1680 7
As noted in my earlier posting I made it out to the range today to try out my new Executive Carry. Temperature was 85-90F with about 75% humidity, so it did not take long to heat up.

The session started out with 6 Ed Brown magazines and Federal American Eagle 230 grain hardball ammunition. The sights seemed to be fairly close so after a couple of magazines I decided to sight it in with the hardball rounds. This was done at 20 yards with my hands resting on top of a couple of sandbags. When the hardball was on target I switched to a new target and fired 3 rounds of 230 grain. Federal Hydra-Shok jacketed hollow points. These were right on the money, so I firmly taped the sights in place before removing the set screw and filling the hole with Locktite. The set screw was then replace and the tape removed to clean up the overrun. Three more shots were then fired with the Federal Hydra-Shok HPs. All 6 rounds were in the 3” white bullseye and 4 rounds were in the 2 bullseye. Group for the 6 shots was 2.330” and 5 of the 6 were in a 1.042” group. I was pleased with this considering my eyes are not quite as sharp as the use to be. :)

After the sighting in was completed I fired the remaining 20 rounds of Hydra-Shok to check feeding and function. Each was done by feeding 1 round into the chamber and loading the magazine back to its 7 round capacity. All rounds fired, cycled, and ejected smoothly.

I then switched back to the American Eagle ammo following the same procedure of chambering 1 round and refilling the magazine to the 7 round capacity. A total of 100 rounds of American Eagle were fired without any type of failure. I then fired 100 rounds of Winchester 230 grain hardball following the same procedure. At about half way into the box, I had one failure to eject. The case had rotated 180 degrees and the mouth of case hung up on the extractor with another round stuck under it on the feeding ramp. Very strange and hard to explain except that I was using a brass catcher which caused a number of cases to bounce out and back toward the gun. :scratch: Another 50 or so rounds were fired with any sort of failure. So other than the 1 exception noted above, which I am not sure can be attributed to the gun, 225 rounds were fired without any type of problem using the 6 magazines. Ejection of all rounds seem very positive and out to the right except for 3 cases which grazed the top of my forehead.

Since the gun was new and wearing in I applied several drops of oil to the rear of the rails every 50 rounds. Upon returning home, the gun was disassembled and thoroughly clean. A close examination did not reveal any abnormal problems and only a very slight amount of wear at a couple of points on the bearing surfaces.

The ergonomics were great with it being very pleasant to hold and fire. The recoil and muzzle flip seemed to only be a bit more than my 5” 1911s. No irritation was noted due to the front or rear checkering. The only point of discomfort was that the bottom of my trigger finger did become a bit tinder well into the session. This is attributed to the sharp trigger serrations and the natural dynamic of gun rotation in firing heavy loads.

Bottom line is this one is a winner and will have a comfortable home in my VM II for a long time to come. :rock:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
I am loven that, Ed Browns shop is just about 40 miles from my house, I am thinking of taking a trip up there to take a tour of the facility and look over the ex-carry and k-carry and maybe comming home with one! Somebody stop me!

Ed seems to have stock of guns all of the time for someone to take home with them right then. I like that option...............

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greyson said:
Xhair,

I am glad to see the EB worked out. The tape does make a difference. :) Hope you enjoy your piece.

Have any pics?

Greyson
Greyson, thanks again for the tape tip. It sure made the process work smoothly. Sorry, but I do not have any pictures. I guess I need to go buy one of those &*)(^() digital cameras. :)

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In follow-up I made a quick trip to the range this morning and went through a 125 rounds of my favorite 200 grain lead SWC load using a mix of 6 Ed Brown 7 round magazines and 7 Wilson 8 round magazines. Not a single hiccup although one case did tap me on the forehead. :) All other cases seemed to eject out at about 90 degrees.

· Registered
774 Posts
Great range report.... you will find that the bobtail just gets better and better as you shoot it more.. the one area that I find the 4.25 inch barrel is not as good is sport shooting with hits out to 25 yards... the longer sight radius of a 5 inch 1911 helps me a bit more for those uses... Eventually I willo buy a 5 inch executive and have the bobtail done on it ... that would yield the best of both worlds in my mind..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.