1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an Ed Brown memory groove grip safety to replace the one that comes standard on a Kimber ? How much fitting is involved ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't know how hard it is to fit, but I saw a well-fitted one recently on a Stainless II and it looked GREAT. Kimber lists this service in their Custom Shop price list. I don't have the list in front of me, but I remember thinking the price was reasonable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don Williams at The Action Works put one on a Kimber for me. If it's done right (the way Don did it), it certainly takes a fair amount of fitting. The one Don did for me is really wonderful... The gun sets in my hand much better than it did before.

It's possible to put one in without a lot of fitting, but I don't think you'd be getting the best possible end product.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the memory groove requires more fitting than the "standard" Ed Brown grip safety.

The Kimber Custom Shop will fit one for $100, which includes the part and refinishing the frame. Don't forget to consider the two-way shipping charges on top of that...

·
Registered
767 Posts
The only difference between the standard EB GS and the memory groove is the hump, otherwise they are the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did one, and if I had been paid what I get paid at work, it would have been about a $400 job.

In short, it was a lot of work. Spend the $100.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I had one done. Try to post a picture tomorrow. It's worth a $100 to have it done.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I agree. John Harrison did one for my Series I. That's the best money I spent on that gun along with the SA magwell. I don't like the standard GS that Kimber uses. It's a very noticable improvement.

Mark

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
a454me said:
Has anyone used an Ed Brown memory groove grip safety to replace the one that comes standard on a Kimber ? How much fitting is involved ? Thanks
Kimber uses a .250" main radius like an Ed Brown. The Brown safety has smaller exterior contours than the Kimber. Sometimes the new beavertail will fit the main radius with very little fitting, requiring just the external shaping, sometimes it is too loose a fit and the main radius will need to be welded up and remachined to fit properly. The one in these pictures is a Series II Kimber TLE that took just a little work on the main radius and a little on the sides, in addition to the exterior shaping.

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
John:
Is that Kimber Sanchez's pistol? Beautiful pics, how did I miss that blaster? I need to come rummage around Precision Gun Works World Headquarters more often.:D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: Re: Ed Brown grip safety on a Kimber

Precision Gunworks said:
Kimber uses a .250" main radius like an Ed Brown. The Brown safety has smaller exterior contours than the Kimber. Sometimes the new beavertail will fit the main radius with very little fitting, requiring just the external shaping, sometimes it is too loose a fit and the main radius will need to be welded up and remachined to fit properly. The one in these pictures is a Series II Kimber TLE that took just a little work on the main radius and a little on the sides, in addition to the exterior shaping.

Speaking of fitting an Ed Brown to a Series II gun . . .

Are there any "issues" with getting it to deactivate the firing pin block reliably?

I tried fitting a Chip McCormick beavertail to a Series II Kimber and I couldn't get it to work with the firing pin block.

Do you think it was an issue of tolerances, or are there other factors when replacing the Kimber grip safety?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ed Brown grip safety on a Kimber

rhino465 said:
Speaking of fitting an Ed Brown to a Series II gun . . .

Are there any "issues" with getting it to deactivate the firing pin block reliably?

I tried fitting a Chip McCormick beavertail to a Series II Kimber and I couldn't get it to work with the firing pin block.

Do you think it was an issue of tolerances, or are there other factors when replacing the Kimber grip safety?
I had to TIG a little extra height on the top of the blocking arm at the front end to get enough stroke out of the plunger. It didn't take much, maybe .050" or so. The original grip safety lifted the transfer bar .050" above the top of the frame, so I knew I had to duplicate that.

RickyT - Yes that's the gun and yes, you should make regular visits, lest you miss some of the good stuff! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
John does excellent work. As promised here is a pic of a Classic Stainless Target that john installed an Ed Brown grip safety one.

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ed Brown grip safety on a Kimber

Precision Gunworks said:
I had to TIG a little extra height on the top of the blocking arm at the front end to get enough stroke out of the plunger. It didn't take much, maybe .050" or so. The original grip safety lifted the transfer bar .050" above the top of the frame, so I knew I had to duplicate that.
Thanks!

Sounds like something I should probably let someone else do . . . I'm too lazy to finish blending it to the frame anyway.

Kimber will install one for $100 . . . I should have sent my whole gun when I had my rear sight replaced, but hindsight is 20/20.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts