1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my first Ed Brown grip safety and have made several observations.

1 The Ed Brown is not sufficiently different enough in my hand to warrant the extra work. The Caspian/Wilson I did feels just as Good.

2 The Speed bump Caspian I bought for my Colt had a better fit and finish out of the package than the Ed Brown.

3 A dremil causes the job to take just a long because it causes more hand work in the finishing stage than to use files in the beginning stage.(No longer to be found anywhere near my smithing tools)

The Ed Brown was installed on the wife's commander and now I know that the Caspian was the right choice for mine.

Anyone else out there come to the same conclusion? :D

I Tinker

· Registered
229 Posts
I like the Ed Brown a LOT better. With a proper undercut of the triggerguard it gives a feel of a higher grip.

I don't have big hands so maybe I notice it more. Where I really noticed it was on my split time for double taps. I'm terrible at double taps and it helped get the front sight back down more quickly.

I don't care for the goofy bump at the bottom of any of them but I can live with it.

· Registered
15,190 Posts
not me!

I was lucky enough to acquire two McCormick De-Activator grip safeties for my next projects (although the S&A I'm hand-filing-to-fit on my current SA project feels pretty good, too).

As so many gun parts, I consider the grip safety to be based totally on personal preference.

I prefer Ed Brown, Caspian, Nowlin, EGW, and some others parts; best quality.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Grip safeties

I don't like the amount of metal that has to be removed for an Ed Brown. You must watch out for the thumb safety hole area. The underside feels too flat to me. On a blued gun, I'd goo with the CMC grip safety; on a stainless, the Wilson hi-ride.

While I usually have never had problems with the grip safty not deactivating, I do prefer the "speed bump".

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
I don't like the Brown, either. Some frames don't have enough metal in the tangs to avoid big gaps at the bottom (and top, for that matter), and blending can get too close to the safety pin hole. I'm not a big fan of beavertails of any description, but I like the "tail" part of the STI and bump part of the Caspian.

· Registered
79 Posts
Over the past few years it seems the mold for the EB's is getting tired. It is an older design these days and does require more metal to be removed. You can get awfully close to the pin holes with these. When finished the EB can leaves small holes on the underneath side of the tangs. It doesn't bother most but for some it is an issue. I do like the higher grips but not an absolute for the gun to be comfortable during long shooting days. It does get the bore lower in the hand. However, I don't notice a huge difference when shooting. The CMC is a good part. Yeah, it's MIM, but it is a non-stress part. If the gun is going to be finished in hardchrome the CMC is not a bad choice. If blued the MIM CMC might turn a little purple over time.

The Wilson safeties finish very nicely. They are probably the best part IMO in terms of good casting and quality materials. They are a little more work getting cut to the rear frame tangs but in the end are very nice. You can have those cut a little higher if that is what you are looking for. The Wilson has a fairly drastic upsweep but that can also be cut down and recontoured.

Good to look around. In the end what you like is the most important.

· Registered
1,732 Posts
Having had both the S&A beavertail and Ed Brown, the EB does offer a higher hand hold. The biggest difference, for me, is drawing out of a holster. Much easier to get the proper grip and release the darn beavertail compared to the lower and thicker S&A. Both comfortable at the range if you take the time to adjust your grip...my grip anyway.

Any of the other "high hold" beavertails like CMC, King's, etc that don't leave the "gaps" that EB does?

· Registered
528 Posts
While several good points have been made above, I still prefer the Ed Brown, as it allows a higher grip on the gun....really a personal preference thing, I guess. Though I have noticed that the last few EB parts I have seen have not quite been up to what I am used to, quality wise....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.