1911Forum banner

Ed Brown input please!!!!

1957 Views 11 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Dennis D. Carter
OK folks..... I need some input. I am a LONG TIME 1911 shooter. I bought my first Wilson in 1985 when it was still a real small hands on shop. I now have 3 Wilsons (the first Master Grade 130, a CQB Compact, and a DCP I had built on an 80 series Colt), and I have a very old, Clark Pin gun that I just LOVE to shoot still.

I am VERY close to ordering a Brown Bobtail. I don't really need it, I just want one. This would be the MOST expensive 1911 I have purchased. I won't own anything that I cannot shoot, and shoot often. All of my others are well worn, and this one will be too.

Gimme some input...... Should I? Is it worth the extra $?

Please..... let me hear from folks with first hand experience with Ed Brown pistols. I read the magazines, and I too have buddies who say this and that, but I want to hear from people who have owned, shot, cleaned, and maintained one, and can compare it to some of the others.

Thanks in advance for the input folks!

BT

[This message has been edited by BloodyThumb (edited 08-19-2001).]
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Check out the posts started by Kavall's below and do a search here and on Pistolsmiths for the Ed Browns. I think you'll find that our assessment is that the Browns are exceptionally well made.
Dennis D. Carter

· Registered
24 Posts
I've got a EB Bobtail. Had it for several months but have not fired it yet (thats another story).

I've owned Wilsons and had access to Baers and Browns amongst the semi-custom makers. The Brown is a cut above the others in every way... other than bullseye type accuracy that some of the Baer's have. Its not that Brown doesn't build accurate pistols, he does, just not at the expense of reliability.

Brown is a 3 man shop, Ed and his two sons. His pistols receive far more attention than the other two makers by a wide margin. It shows in the metal work fit and finish is exceptional), metal prep (nothing hidden by a teflon finish) and overall quality.

I'd recommend a Brown to anyone w/o hesitation. You will get your money's worth and then some. And with the addition of the Kobra to his lineup, a Brown can be had for ~$1850, about the same as a CQB...

· Registered
24 Posts
oh yeah, I'd highly recommend contact Terry Peters www.pt-partners.com for more info on the Brown (as well as Baer and Wilson). He retails the high end 1911s and is a great guy to do business with. He'll take care of you. Also have read good things about Allan Yoast but have not dealt with him personally.

Gimme some input...... Should I? Is it worth the extra $?
Yeah, to me the Brown is worth the extra dollars.

[This message has been edited by BK (edited 08-20-2001).]

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input folks. I can't imagine having anything for months and not shooting it!

I guess my primary reason for hesitation is this. I will carry and shoot it, so no matter how "purty" it is (and it is!), it will wind up well worn. As for performance, I just can't imagine performance that would be significantly better that what I get from my two primary carry guns now........ but MAN... the BobTail is just sooooo NEAT lookin!

My DCP has worn well, and the CQB is rock solid and 100%, but the finish looks like hell.... I guess that is the only real complaint I have had with any of the Wilsons I have ever had...... The Armor Tough finish just ain't! But it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and I hit what I am shooting at almost all the time, so I just look at it like my favorite boots. They're 15 years old, smell like 20, and look worse, but I just keep on puttin new soles on 'em, cause they fit me.....

So anyway...... I also would like to have a traditional Commander length again. That was the first 1911 I ever owned, and have had only GM's since, with the exception of the CQB Compact.

Again, thanks for the input. I guess I just gotta get out the checkbook.

Thanks!

BT

G

·
Originally posted by BloodyThumb:
Thanks for the input folks. I can't imagine having anything for months and not shooting it!

I guess my primary reason for hesitation is this. I will carry and shoot it, so no matter how "purty" it is (and it is!), it will wind up well worn. As for performance, I just can't imagine performance that would be significantly better that what I get from my two primary carry guns now........ but MAN... the BobTail is just sooooo NEAT lookin!

My DCP has worn well, and the CQB is rock solid and 100%, but the finish looks like hell.... I guess that is the only real complaint I have had with any of the Wilsons I have ever had...... The Armor Tough finish just ain't! But it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and I hit what I am shooting at almost all the time, so I just look at it like my favorite boots. They're 15 years old, smell like 20, and look worse, but I just keep on puttin new soles on 'em, cause they fit me.....

So anyway...... I also would like to have a traditional Commander length again. That was the first 1911 I ever owned, and have had only GM's since, with the exception of the CQB Compact.

Again, thanks for the input. I guess I just gotta get out the checkbook.

Thanks!

BT
You're going to pleased with the Brown.
Dennis D. Carter

G

·
The waiting may be hard for you, but it's after you get it and tell us about it that's hard for me. I'm saving but have spent what I had on another Wilson and a Les Baer. But, my next purchase (I hope before Christmas) will be an EB Commander size stainless frame with night sights.

You're really going to like it. Brown has the best workmanship, especially the slide to frame fit, I've seen.

Dennis D. Carter

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered on 8/23, should be delivered to my local shop tomorrow. I got a call from the EB shop today.....

That's pretty good turn around!

BT

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...... it's here, and it's purty. I will try to get some pics while it still is, if anyone is interested.

Just a cursory inspection so far. All appears in order. The cheap scale I have reports that the trigger pulll is just a tad heavier than I asked for, meaning it should be real close to the mark after some break in.

Range time this afternoon if I can swing it..... maybe even in the rain.

BT

G

·
OK, I gotta know. What did you settle on? A full size or compact bobtail? If bobtail, how do you like the grip? Stainless frame? Night sights? Have you taken it apart yet? The slide to frame fit on the EB is about as close to perfect as you can get. How does it feel to own one of the best?
Dennis D. Carter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.