1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there suggest why I should buy an Ed Brown Special Forces over a Les Brown SRP or Premier 11 Super Tac? I should mention that I'm new to 1911s though I have a variety of revolvers in various calibers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
I've owned both Browns and Baers. Still have and love the Brown Kobra and Kobra Carry, but the Baer TRS is long gone. Too tight for a carry gun.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I recently shot my SF in a local IDPA match and did fairly well for a first time shooter.
It was plenty accurate and handled quite well. Since it was about 15 degrees I was pretty happy with being able to hit the target at all.

I have both EB and LB pistols. I have been using an EB since the mid 80's and prefer the classic build on the EB guns. Simple with no real frills.
They are as accurate as a person can hold and shoot every time with good magazines.
I carry a LB commanche when I need a shorter gun and it performs great too.

I just think the EB fits me better and I prefer the concept.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Neither.

Get a Springfield Loaded and take a good 3-day tactical pistol course with it. Once you have the specific M1911 skills look for a carry pistol.

Here's what I carry. Trust me it was NOT my "first M1911!" ;)

Here's my pair of practice pistols (Springfield Loaded .45ACP and Colt's M1991A1 9mm). I keep the Kobra Carry's round count low.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
364 Posts
Third what Chuck said. A very nice pistol, of which >

both the LB & Ed Brown are, are great to have and shoot. But without some serious and ongoing training, the best, most expensive 1911 in the world is useless.....

I've owned LB's, Ed Brown, Wilsons, Kimbers, SA's, S&W's, Colts, etc, all in 1911 versions. While I would choose a Ed Brown over a LB, except I might consider the Thunder Ranch, I like the fit and finish of the Ed Browns better and they do not run as tight as a LB, and have MUCH better QC then the Wilsons. I have a box stock Kimber classic with about 30K rounds through it. The blueing is pretty well worn through it and it may not be the prettiest looking 1911 out there, but it still runs like a champ and will shoot a 2" group at 25 yards, and sells for around $700.00 today. If I had to pick it up and use to defend my life I know it will go bang without any questions! Hard to beat that....

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Anyone out there suggest why I should buy an Ed Brown Special Forces over a Les Brown SRP or Premier 11 Super Tac? I should mention that I'm new to 1911s though I have a variety of revolvers in various calibers. Thanks.
Don't you just hate it when you decide to buy up and people say buy down? Happens to me all the time.

If I were you and I knew what I know now, I would buy an EB. They get the job done, are more in line with the traditional 1911 design, and since they are not sooo tight leave you more use options.

Others will disagree. But that is my 2 cents.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
869 Posts
I got into 1911s a couple of years ago after shooting and owning a lot of oher guns. I went with a SA Loaded, and then a S&W1911PD. Both great guns. I could have bought a Les Baer or Ed Brown almost for the $ spent on those two. I then bought the Ed Brown Exec Target used LNIB and shortly after a Les Baer PII in same condition. I would get the high end gun in your place. My Baer is tighter and slightly more accurate. The Brown is more refined. And very accurate. Both are reliable for the first 600-800. The Brown runs longer dirty.

Assuming $ are not a problem you will be happy with either. Or both.

My SA had a very heavy trigger. I did a good trigger job and got it down to 3.5-4 lbs. About as good as the higher $ guns. After the purchase price and parts with no labor I had about as much money in the SA as it would cost to get a new PII without the 1 1/2 guarantee.

Warm summer day, unlimited ammo and nothing but time. Nice memory for a cold dark winter.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
EB or LB ?

Greetings,
Owning both brands,I would recommend EB.While I have never had a problem with my LB,and it will shoot rings around my EB(IT SHOULD FOR WHAT I PAID:eek:)I think that the EB (Kobra Carry)is much more ergonomic for a CCW type of firearm.I have shot a couple of LB Commanche 45's,and even though they are the same size as the Kobra Carry,they just aren't as "smooth"(Even with their Tactical melt).Both are high quality,but the EB has it over them in overall finish.Either way,you won't lose!
If you choose a LB,be prepared to shoot at least 500 rds to break it in.Les builds pistols like race car engines,you have to break them in properly!
Regards,
DAT85

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Greetings,
Owning both brands,I would recommend EB.While I have never had a problem with my LB,and it will shoot rings around my EB(IT SHOULD FOR WHAT I PAID:eek:)I think that the EB (Kobra Carry)is much more ergonomic for a CCW type of firearm.I have shot a couple of LB Commanche 45's,and even though they are the same size as the Kobra Carry,they just aren't as "smooth"(Even with their Tactical melt).Both are high quality,but the EB has it over them in overall finish.Either way,you won't lose!
If you choose a LB,be prepared to shoot at least 500 rds to break it in.Les builds pistols like race car engines,you have to break them in properly!
Regards,
DAT85

Dat, for the benefit of the original poster we should mention that YOU AND I BOTH laughed at the price of custom 1911s and Ed Brown in particular. Now we swear by both.

We could have saved a ton of money if we bought high to begin with.

I believe this original poster is someone who is smart and wants to be informed with he spending decisions. Buy up. If he were a trust-fund-baby who didn't give a damn, I say IAI all the way. Remember that POS, Rick? :bawling:

Regards,
Greyson

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Omg! Iai

Greyson,
You have unlocked the gates of hell by writing those 3 letters in a thread on LB's & EB's.The undead are coming for you to reclaim the LORCIN that you tried to dis-assemble!:biglaugh:Now,back to our regularly scheduled thread!
DAT 85

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
I've never been treated so differently between two pros as Ed and Les. I had models from each, and a couple of years ago at the SHOT Show, I wanted to discuss each of their models. Ed and his son went out of their way, even looking up my particular pistols to discuss the pros and cons of them. They wanted to know if I was having any problems, and if there was anything they could do for me. Not trying to make a sale, just true concern. Great guys! Then I made it over to the Baer booth. The arrogance and attitude hit me from ten feet away. Les didn't want to discuss my concerns about what I considered to be an overlytight fit. He gave me some smartass comment about learning tolerances with racecars. Kissed him off my list and sold my TRS, and will never go back.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Stay with the High End like a Ed Brown or maybe think about getting the
Ed Brown. That would be my two choices or should I say choice.

·
Registered
269 Posts
you will NEVER regret buying a Brown, they are simply the Best!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts