1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting to shot I.P.S.C. and want to install a mag guide on my Para P16-40.
The Ed Brown unit is supposed to be a drop in unit. The S&A is supposed to require some modification to the frame. Can anyone tell me what the modification is? Or which unit they think is better for my purpuse? Or are there other units that may be even better? Im not interested in the type that require welding?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi Jim, I use the S&A mag well its the one thats compatible with Grams Engineering base pads, that I might add will increase your mag capacity to 21 rounds. It requires cutting your grip frames length down about 150 thousands. Go to my web site and look at the All Sport Forty you can see what it looks like installed on the gun. It makes the grip feel longer in your hand.If you ever shoot a gun with one on it I believe you will like it. Regards, Bob Hunter. www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never realized that some units were not compatable with certain base pads. Thank you.

Now I have more questions.

1. Does the S&A guide work with all Base Pads?
2. Are you saying the Ed Brown unit will not work with the Grams unit?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
257 Posts
My gun also has an S&A, and I highly recommend this unit. It should be compatible with any basebad that extends the magazine length out to 140mm(at least it would appear so). Never used the Ed Brown, so I can't comment, but even at minimum you will have to blend the frame to the magwell(suposedly a pain in the rear, my P16 came with a S&A already installed). Good luck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I installed an Ed Brown on a P-16 but could not seat the mags because of interference from the magwell against the base pads. The instructions said to whack off some of the base pad, but it looked like if I whacked off enough to seat the mags there would be not enough left of the base pad to keep it stuck on the mag tube.

Buy from Brownells so that you may return unused and unaltered merchandise. Sometimes I order every variety of a part made then send back the ones I didn't use.

I installed the S&A magwell. You must cut off about 1/8" from the bottom of the grip frame. Go carefully. It's easy if you have a padded vise. Use a floor mounted disc sander for speed, Or a hacksaw and sharp file.

Now there are drop in magwells available that slip over the bottom of the grip frame amd are held in place by the mainspring housing pin. Go to:
www.dawsonprecision.com

and look at their new Para P-16 Dawson-Jarrett for a good view of the drop in mag well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Banjobart,

Thanks for the info. I checked out that Dawson unit and I like it. They said delivery is about 2-4 weeks. I guess there having a hard time stocking it. I let you know what its like if I get it.

PARANATOR....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts