1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what gives?

I just got off the phone with Ed Brown Products. I was asking about the possibility of them building a hardball gun for me, for use in DCM/CMP competition (as in Camp Perry, the Nationals, etc.)

For those unfamiliar with the term, a hardball gun is basically a 1911A1 pistol with no external modifications except that rear adjustable sights and a taller front sight are allowed. These guns CAN be accurized, and CAN have different finishes, but that's about it. In competition with these guns, you shoot only 230 grain ball through it--hence the name.

Les Baer makes them.

Jim Clark makes them.

Ed Brown wouldn't give me the time of day!! I got the distinct impression that they did not even know what I was talking about. Also, the guy I finally talked to was downright rude on the phone.

I used to buy Brown products for my pistols. Not any more! Jim Clark, here I come!

·
Registered
551 Posts
What gives? Some people specialize instead of trying to please everybody.

I don't go to McDonalds for ribs, or to my local Jeep dealer for a part for my bike.

If I walk into a dealer with a Honda sign our front to inquire about a bike, and the sales folks told me they specialized in ATV's only, I would say, thank you and leave..... not ask to argue with somebody else.

I have a specialty myself, and if you asked me for something other than that, and then went about bad mouthing me because I didn't have what you wanted......I'd be a damned bit more than rude!

Why bad mouth somebody for no reason other than a reaction to your attitude. There is enough going on now without whiners……..

Sheesh...... no matter where you look...... bad attitudes and idiots......

I got an idea..... join the military..... They'll fix your tongue!

I apologize to the everyone else, but I just really get a little miffed at whiners that pollute a place where I go to get help, advice, and intelligent conversation, when they don't REALLY have something to bitch about.

BT

[This message has been edited by BloodyThumb (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I only butt in becuase I was looking to get an Ed Brown myself.

Their advertising, and web site, certainly clearly says, you can have one made any way you want. Maybe its like the old Ford motto, "any color you want (as long as it's black" ?

My only experience with them directly was when I bought a couple of their ten-round mags. When the bullets all went nose-down, and they wouldn't work at all in my (admittedly cheap) government model, I sent them an e-mail just asking for advice.

Their response was that my gun must have a problem! True, perhaps, but not exactly stellar customer service.

I'd still buy one of their pistols, if I can find one from a non-dealer. Alas, I live in CA, and Ed's not on "the list".

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought myself that Ed Brown made custom 1911's in any configuration--at least that is what I was told. To find out otherwise is a disappointment, to say the least.

Bloody Thumb--I don't know who crapped in your Post Toasties today. Maybe when you mature, you will learn the art of disagreeing with someone without personal attack.

By the way, concerning your reference to the military--15 years active Federal service, US Army, left a Staff Sergeant. What's your military background?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Withing the realm of IDPA, IPSC, etc, you can have it pretty much any way you want as I understand it. 45, 40, 9, ramped, no ramp, sight choice, trigger pull, all blue, combo finish, 5 inch, 4 1/4, and on and on..... within some limits......

As for maturity..... everybody has their opinions...... my opinion is that whining is for children.

Again, I apologize to almost all. I will keep my distaste for "negative posts with no purpose" to myself....... after all, it only succeeded in causing me to do the same thing myself, which was not very intelligent on my part. Who the hell made ME a moderator..... NOBODY!

A bit edgy with the recent past, and my immediate future. Sorry!

Powderman, I honestly hope you find your "hardballer".

I will not apologize for what I said, but I will for having said it.

Y'all have a nice day.

I'm out!

BT

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
An apology that's not an apology. That's a new one to me. Just stumbled onto this exchange or should I say attack and I would hope that in the future I don't read this kind of attack on this forum again. There's a great group of guys and gals on this forum and it's a pleasure to exchange information. I personally was quite offended by the attack on a fellow member and hope this won't happen again. Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,212 Posts
I was under the impression that Brown made only the guns that they catalog, that they are not a full-service custom shop. That was the case a couple of years ago, anyway. That's no excuse for rudeness, of course.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bloody Thumb--Apology accepted. I know how you feel, and then some, concerning recent developments. My son is going through boot camp right now in Camp Pendleton, CA, and will probably (definitely!!) get deployed. So, my friend, my prayers and good wishes are with you, and all others who must face this threat.

To all: I was really disappointed that Ed Brown, Inc. is not a "true" custom pistolsmith, but one who pre-manufatures the 1911 in certain configurations and does not deviate. That being said, the Ed Brown handguns I have seen have always been fine examples of the pistolsmith's craft. I carry an Enhanced Colt for duty right now, and use my Glock 22 for off duty carry (Did I just use the G word?!? Horrors!!!!)and do appreciate a fine .45. It's just the rudeness that put me off, and the impression that at least one of the folks there did not want to give me the time of day.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My "cover" is off to ya Powder.... I vow to work on my own tongue and save the "edge" for the more deserving.....

... and my best to your son......

BT

[This message has been edited by BloodyThumb (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have dealt with Ed Brown for the last three years. I have two of his Savanna Rifles and just got a Class A limited .45.

I had a Custom Classic several years ago that unfortunately I never fired before trading it for another rifle.

My experience with Ed and his products has been exceptional. I was always able to talk directly to Ed or Travis when I had questions, and Ed called me to clarify some specs on my last Savanna rifle, which by the way shoots less than 1/2 moa.

So, in my dealings with this company I have only positive things to say about the people and their products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts