1911Forum banner

Ed Brown semi-drop in barrel fitting question

1548 4
Picked up an unused Ed Brown barrel but it didnt have the fitting instructions. I ws told that it has never been fitted, anyway, it almost drops stright in with no fitting (yet) but I notice that when dropping the slide it sometimes sticks 1/16" just before reaching full battery, if I push it it 'jolts' into position and locks up nice and tight. Any areas that typically need attention on these barrels? Hood sides, length, upper lugs, lower?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,527 Posts
I would contact Ed Brown and see if they will send you the instructions. I received a new-in-the-wrap Ed Brown barrel & bushing in a trade and the instructions are pretty specific about how much metal to remove and where.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
Take a look at the lower lugs to see if the slide stop pin is making a shiny spot on each lug where it comes to rest when in battery. If it is, then it's probably fit pretty well and you could just shoot it to break it in if it's coming that close to going into battery.
There's nothing wrong with the end of the hood contacting the face of the slide, but if it's too tight it'll cause accuracy problems. Most of us these days leave a couple of thou clearance there to allow room for debris buildup.

Bob

· Registered
501 Posts
Take a colored magic marker and paint the barrel hood and locking lugs with it. Then assemble the pistol and cycle it a dozen or so times. Take it down and see where the marker is worn off. That is where you need to gently stone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.