1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in my local Cabelas in the gun library...:eek: Lightly used and I mean lightly, put it on layaway and will pay it off this coming Wednesday when my PayPal slush fund lands back in my bank.
Can't wait....:)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Looks good! Congrats, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Finger on the trigger with the gun cocked and thumb safety off? Maybe you should invest in a little training first. Beautiful gun, you will love it.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
That is one of my top 5 favorites of all 1911's!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Finger on the trigger with the gun cocked and thumb safety off? Maybe you should invest in a little training first. Beautiful gun, you will love it.
I was waiting for someone to say that! Noticed it immediately. ALL Guns are Loaded. Break the habit of putting your finger inside the trigger guard. It may just save your life.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Nice find! Congrats!

And don't worry about the finger on the trigger comments. I'm sure the hammer is back and safety is off, because the gun was safety checked when the salesman pulled the gun out of the cabinet like they typically always do. You likely even checked it as well. Sure, a finger on the trigger is a bad habit to form, but anyone should be wise enough to know this particular instance is harmless. Hell, when I check out 1911s in the store, my finger goes on the trigger also. And yeah, the hammer is back and safety is off as well. That's because I dry fire them.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Hell, when I check out 1911s in the store, my finger goes on the trigger also. And yeah, the hammer is back and safety is off as well. That's because I dry fire them.
I'm sure the others were just joking. I dry fire as well to check the trigger.
I have never seen a LGS hand someone an unchecked weapon.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Not Joking! Bad habit, break it! You were also pointing/aiming down the counter. I don't know what was in that general direction, but it does not look to be pointed in a safe direction to me.

When I check the trigger the gun is pointed in a safe direction and when I am done doing that, my finger comes out of the trigger guard.

Making excuses will not help build solid and safe gun handling habits. All Guns are Loaded. Empty guns kill many people.

Love the Gun BTW. One of my favorites. DW does indeed make one hell of a 1911. It compares well to 1911's at twice the price. Enjoy Sir!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Who is DW? This is an EB..

Jim,

Here for your enjoyment is the gun clerk who didn't check the weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsecTFkxWwk
My Error. Thanks for the correction. My mind was in a different place them my keyboard. Was thinking Dan Wesson when typing that. Apologies....

Your linked Video shows it does and can happen. Clerk never checks handgun and Cop assumes its unloaded. He is lucky, it could have been far worse.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Instead of assuming the OP is negligent enough to put his finger on the trigger before the gun was safety checked and lecturing him, a person should have enough respect to simply ask him if it was properly checked if the person is truly concerned. It's a respect thing.

And just in case anyone truly is concerned, rather than just being a picture safety nazi, rest assured that as the gun is being handled in the picture, it would not fire, as the safety is still engaged. ;)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Instead of assuming the OP is negligent enough to put his finger on the trigger before the gun was safety checked and lecturing him, a person should have enough respect to simply ask him if it was properly checked if the person is truly concerned. It's a respect thing.

And just in case anyone truly is concerned, rather than just being a picture safety nazi, rest assured that as the gun is being handled in the picture, it would not fire, as the safety is still engaged. ;)
You are welcome to see safety advice as someone being a "Nazi" but using the words "Respect" as you call someone a "Safety Nazi" is sanctimonious at best.

I stand by my comments. I feel they were, while not touchy feely, not abrasive, but direct and to the point. Safety is and should ALWAYs be of paramount value. I do RESPECT safe weapons handling.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

No safety Nazis here L2R, Please watch the video I posted 2 posts up
It is a cautionary tale....

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
You are welcome to see safety advice as someone being a "Nazi" but using the words "Respect" as you call someone a "Safety Nazi" is sanctimonious at best.

I stand by my comments. I feel they were, while not touchy feely, not abrasive, but direct and to the point. Safety is and should ALWAYs be of paramount value. I do RESPECT safe weapons handling.
Do you know the weapon was not safety checked? Of course you don't. You didn't ask the OP, and you cannot confirm one way or the other by looking at the picture. You are simply running with the assumption he was being negligent.

I have seen this countless times in forums. People jump in and lecture a person for posting a picture of a gun with the safety off, or a video that doesn't show the person safety check the weapon. It's ridiculous and gets old after a while.

Why not show the OP some respect and assume that he is safe, rather than negligent? Why not just see a gun was being shown off, rather than policing the "safety" of the picture?

And again, the gun in the picture was safe. We can all take a deep breath And relax, since the safety was still engaged.

To the OP, I'm sorry for the thread derailment. I'm happy you got yourself a fine 1911! And I trust that you are a safe gun handler, despite the picture posted. There are many times a gun is safety checked and the slide let down without dry firing or engaging the thumb safety. I believe that is what happened in this instance. It doesn't mean the gun or handler isn't safe. Please give us a range report after you've enjoyed it with some rounds downrange! :)

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
No safety Nazis here L2R, Please watch the video I posted 2 posts up
It is a cautionary tale....
I watched the video, and I understand why people are concerned with safety. I would step up and say something if I saw a safety issue first hand while I was present. But I won't assume a person is negligent from a simple photo like this, when the details about what happened moments before are unknown.

That video is quite disturbing, btw. Wow. I hope an extremely valuable lesson was learned from that.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts