1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Can somebody tell me if any of his guns are on the DOJ California approved list? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey lunde, did you get this straight from the Ed Brown company?

That's amazing, and great, news!

I was saving up for an EB when they came out with this whole stupid "list" thing. I would definitly buy an Executive. I don't know about the Kobra. Probably.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ranger,

Yes, this came straight from the Ed Brown company. I first asked by email, and the reply indicated this. I then called to get more details. One thing that seem certain is that they will have special models for California, like Wilson Combat, specifically that a different firing pin (they also mentioned a different firing pin spring) will be used. Wilson Combat uses a titanium firing pin in their California models. All of the details are not yet set, but it's something they are doing. They hoped that everything will be ready (meaning approved for California) sometime this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lunde said:
Ranger,
Yes, this came straight from the Ed Brown company. I first asked by email, and the reply indicated this. I then called to get more details. One thing that seem certain is that they will have special models for California, like Wilson Combat, specifically that a different firing pin (they also mentioned a different firing pin spring) will be used. Wilson Combat uses a titanium firing pin in their California models. All of the details are not yet set, but it's something they are doing. They hoped that everything will be ready (meaning approved for California) sometime this summer.
This is some of the greatest news I have heard since I began looking for a 1911. I am new to 1911's, and when I checked to see if any of Ed Brown or Rock River products were on the DOJ list, it left me quite unhappy. Not to say that a Wilson or Baer isn't good enough, it's just nice to have my options open. It looks as though I'll be able to get a Kobra Carry (or two) after all :dope:

·
Registered
383 Posts
WOW. Almost good to be livin in Cali.
I know I will get one. It save me the trouble of sending a non checkerd 1911 to a smith to get snake skin. Now I can get the orginal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
lunde said:
...they will have special models for California, like Wilson Combat, specifically that a different firing pin (they also mentioned a different firing pin spring) will be used. Wilson Combat uses a titanium firing pin in their California models...
Just curious why a titanium firing pin would be required as opposed to a regular one. What's the diff? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Titanium firing pin, usually in conjuction with a stronger spring, is what Springfield Armory did to help insure they pass the various drop-testing that's done to certify the firearm as "not unsafe."

Notice that Armscor, Rock Island Armory, as well as Valtro, and Les Baer did NOT go to a Ti pin. So it's not really needed.

Too bad about the model, I guessed which one it would be, but I hate being right. They declare right on the Ed Brown web-site that they will not be certifying any other models.

The Kobra Karry is so much like my Pro Carry in appearance, it will be hard to justify to the wife why another one, that looks just like it (to the lay person) is worth $2500.

I really wanted the Executive full-size. Now I'll have to explore my other remaining option. (Parent in another state...)

Anyway here's the direct link to "the one" (scroll down to the bottom!): http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00839.1.887641372517301133

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
What I mean is, I have seven now, two parkerized, two stainless, two blue, and one two-tone. What's missing? Another two-tone! I already have a commander-sized all stainless. I don't have a two-tone commander-sized.

So even the two-tone Kobra I could rationalize somehow.

I really wanted the Executive full-size, but, oh well.

The more I look at their latest magazine advertisement of the all stainless Kobra Karry, the more I want one...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
get the all Stainless... Just got back from five days at Gunsite and after shooting 1250 rounds and playing in the sand - it still looks brand new and I put 1000 rounds through it before I went to Gunsite. The Snake Skin after five days in the heat was very good to my hands... My right hand did get two small blisters but it was NOT because of the snake skin - just after unholstering the gun so many times over five days {inside right thumb and index finger} - Still a Great gun - Money is just a tool to get what YOU want - enjoy life or save your $$ for your kids

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Harley Rider said:
get the all Stainless... Just got back from five days at Gunsite and after shooting 1250 rounds and playing in the sand - it still looks brand new and I put 1000 rounds through it before I went to Gunsite. The Snake Skin after five days in the heat was very good to my hands... My right hand did get two small blisters but it was NOT because of the snake skin - just after unholstering the gun so many times over five days {inside right thumb and index finger} - Still a Great gun - Money is just a tool to get what YOU want - enjoy life or save your $$ for your kids
Excellent advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts