1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put together a reload that duplicates, as close as possible, the weight/profile/ballistics of the Federal EFMJ round, in .45 ACP. Anyone here know of a bullet available that would meet these spec.'s ? Am also trying to find out what components and spec.'s(OAL,etc,.) are used in the factory round. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love the Fed EFMJ round and try to reload to its specifications. (Did some telephone book testing and found great expansion) I haven't found a bullet component equivalent, so I try to use the same grain bullet with close velocities. So far my closest training load is Hornady 200gr XTP or Hornady 200gr CTs at max velocities of 800 FPS. OAL of the EFMJ's are 1.240-1.245. I chronographed the EFMJs +Ps at 910-950 FPS. (Out of my Pro CDP with 4" barrel)
I can't recognize a difference in recoil or hit performance between 800 and 900 FPS, so I will be easy on the equipment and load to 800 FPS max.

Starline brass
Win primer
200gr bullet
gives:
5gr Tightgroup has velocities in the low 800's.
5gr Viht N310 has velocities in the high 870-880's.
5gr Red Dot has 770's
5gr Clays in the 750's (listed chamber pressures are high, don't notice a difference)

Hope some of this helps.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts