1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Well......It happened. As so many of you have suggested would happen, the extractor on my Daly broke today. I suppose with the lifetime warranty on it I could send it back and they will put another one on that will break again. Or I can order an aftermarket extractor and put it in myself. I will probably have as much in shipping the gun bake to Daly as the extractor costs.

Being relatively new to the 1911, I am inclined to get an aftermarket extractor that will probably not break after a few hundred rounds. I have some questions though that I know you people on here can answer. I had little trouble getting the old extractor out. In fact, I was amazed at how ingenious it is. (I guess that's why John M. was so famous) If I buy an aftermarket like a Wilson or an Ed Brown, will they fit in the Daly like they do in the Colt? Will I have to make modifications? Also, do I order the series 70 or 80 extractor for the Daly? Anything else that I need to know before I tackle this job? I can't stand the thought of my 1911 being broke!!! I love this pistol.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Get a Wilson series 70 extractor. It will probably protrude a bit at the back, as they are made long to be blended. Me, I left mine as it is. I have more than 10k now since I replaced it with no problem. Instructions are included in the package, but I didn't have to use it 'coz mine droped right in.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I replaced mine with an Ed Brown, series 70. It does protrude out the back but, looks OK really. If you wanted, you coud Dremel the peice to fit quite well and do a blue touch up.
While you are at it, you may want to get an oversized firing pin stop. I say this because, at least with the Ed Brown extractor, the extractor is a little loose in the fit with the FP stop. This allows the extractor to rotate or "clock" a bit. By getting the oversized FP stop, you can Dremel it down to fit your replacement extractor perfectly and have no clocking.
Also, be sure and check/adjust if needed, the tension on the extractor per the procedure here at 1911. It is critical to the operation of your gun.
By the way, if you hated the firing pin spring, you can get replacement quite cheaply. I got the replacement spring along with a 18.5 lb. recoil spring from Brownells quite cheaply. That incredibly strong firing pin spring is for the California "drop test"---if you live in CA you will probably want to leave it there!

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
BGriffith said:
While you are at it, you may want to get an oversized firing pin stop.
I recommend EGW for an oversize FP stop. Brownell's carry them. But try the extractor first and see if it fits with no clocking (not needed on mine). If it does then go ahead and replace FP stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts