1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember that I got my CD on D-Day (06/06/01, of course). There've been a few gripe things but I've been working them out one at a time.

I believe I've tracked down this lock-back culprit but, haven't the "guts" yet to take things apart. So, I'll see what you all say... it goes like this:

First... I've covered the bases of limp wrist/thumb touching the slide stop lever; and in exercising the slide with an empty mag it fails to lock.

Second, in order to insert the slide stop on reassembly, I have to manually depress the plunger in to let the stop pass. When I exercise the plunger/spring (using a pencil eraser) it feel rough, like the hole machining is not smooth. Also, it appears to me that the plunger extends too far for the stop to slide over and depress it. The stop itself, under a magnify glass, appears rough - etched a bit... wear?? I have no idea what the shape or angles should be but unlike the smooth action of the safety and its plunger, the slide stop just won't pass the plunger without help.

Now once in,it appears to work - that is, working with the frame only and the slide stop inserted, and watching how (and if) an empty mag raised the stop, it does work many times but, often enough to be concerned, it doesn't. I'm wondering if I have a slide stop problem, a plunger/spring problem, or frame plunger mold/drilling problem.

1. Any technical info on the slide stop face angles, etc?
2. What's the measured length of the plunger - that length you can see protruding from the frame boring?
3. How do you remove and re-assemble the slide stop plunger and spring? Is it possible the spring is broken, or inserted reversed? And is this a lube point?
4. Should I send it back (in warranty)? Hate to that - particulary these days.

Thanks in advance.

-AndyB

[This message has been edited by andyb (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Except I only had the fail to lock back with 1 factory magazine. MY major problem was trying to reinsert the slide lever into the frame was a MAJOR pain and I also need to hold in the plunger with something small. I ended up slightly modifying my slide stop with a file in the area that touches the plunger. I worked very slow, and eventually made a little "groove" for the plunger to ride in as the stop was pushed into the frame. I then polished it, and it is 100% now. IF you are not into doing that, maybe try an inexpensive new slide stop? I wish I had a camera that was decent and took good macro shots.

Forgot to add. I also cleaned the heck out of the inside of the plunger tube and replaced the plungers/spring with a stainless one from Wilson I think (I got it from brownells for like $4). I only did this because like you I thought it seemed rough in the hole and I wanted to decrease the chances of rusting in there. I really don't think this had much impact and it was the work I did above that finally solved the problem.

Also to get the plungers out of the tube, you need to remove the safety.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 11-01-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts