1911Forum banner

EGW Bushings Nice Stuff

1522 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  davemuzz
Got my EGW stainless bushing in the other day for my Mil Spec. Since I live in Pa. and they are in Pa. I called them when I did the order. I figured the phone call would not cost all that much.

They were very helpful. I gave them the measurements of my barrel and slide, and he questioned them. He thought for a Springer, the gap was too much. So while on the phone I re-measured and came up with the same numbers.

So, he cut the bushing and sent it to me. With a strip of 400 grit paper I polished up the bushing and it fits like a glove. No barrel spring on this one. Good service and a really nice product.

I havn't shot it yet, but I am hoping it may be as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup. We shall see! :rock: :rock: :rock:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Sorry, davemuzz, I'm not familiar with a part you mention. What is a barrel spring? I'm kinda thick sometimes when it comes to pistol parts, I guess.

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
He's not referring to a part, but to a condition wherein spring tension is inappropriately applied to the barrel itself, in lockup, due to improper fit of the barrel and/or barrel bushing.

· Registered
362 Posts
Oops! Sorry 'bout that. Y'know, I kinda considered the ambiguity of my thinking about what I was reading, but for some reason, it just didn't spring to mind.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Bushing difference

Hey, dave, I'm VERY interested in the results, especially if you had time to bench test the gun before. Do you think a common set of calipers (Lyman dial) accurate enough to do this? Maybe I'll get the 'smith to check my TRP and see if it could benefit.

· Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havn't shot it yet, and with the hurricane rains headed this way (I'm in southwest PA) it doesn't look like I'll see the sun until Friday.

I measured my barrel and slide with a set of Sears Dial Caliper's. The Caliper's measure in the thousands and worked just fine.

The fit is actually tighter than my Colt Gold Cup, and my Gold Cup is a very accurate 1911. So I am interested in getting to the range to see the accuracy improvement. There was considerable slop in the factory bushing in my Mil Spec.

I'll post the results when I have them.

Dave.

· Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Range results

I went out to the range this morning before the rains came and shot a few clips off with the new EGW bushing installed. The attached picture tells the story. I had a Chip McCormick ten round mag in the gun and freehand, from 15 yards, put all ten rounds in the target.

Now, for some that may not be a great feat, but for me and my Mil Spec, it is very impressive. I do that with my Colt, but I kind of expect that from the Colt.

I believe the bushing to barrel clearence is .003 (three thousands).

The Mil Spec is a fun gun, now it's even more funner! (More funner?)

Dave

· Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW--just some numbers on the measurments from the Mil Spec:

Barrel OD = .578
Bushing ID = .582
Slide ID = .702
Bushing OD = .701

Yeah...there is only one-thousand's clearance between the bushing and the frame. This does explane the requirement (for me) that I must assemble and dis-assemble the gun with a bushing wrench. Also, since I'm not use to using a bushing wrench, I keep shooting off the recoil spring cap. I will "shoot my eye out" if I don't sit down and emory off another thousand so I dont need the darn wrench.

By contrast, the standard out of the box measurements of my Colt Gold Cup are:
Barrel OD = .580
Bushing ID = .582
Slide ID = .702
Bushing OD = .700

Dave.

· Registered
652 Posts
You might try lapping it in, this will take off any high spots causing tightness. I would hate to see you lose any of the gains you've made. Just slap some fine compound (like J-B) or maybe just oil on it. Sit and watch some tv. while turning it back and forth in the slide. She'll smooth right up in no time, and be a perfect fit.

· Registered
82 Posts
I just got my EGW angle bore drop in bushing in the mail today. It fit my barrel like a glove but I had to work on it a bit to get it to go into the slide. I used some different grade sanding sticks that I use building models and got it in there and it's nice and snug. While I was sanding, I rounded off the edges of the outer flange giving it a really nice "melted" look. Can't wait to shoot it with this bushing. My stock one was super loose and now this one is very tight. I have to use a bushing wrench to turn it. Along with the checkered ILS MSH & magwell that I bought on the GAFS forum from Foodog226 (great guy...big thumbs up to him), this parked loaded of mine is slowly turning into my dream pistol. :)

· Registered
82 Posts
I'll definitely try to post some pics. My fiancee is gone with the camera (which I don't even know how to turn on! lol :scratch: ) and when she returns I'll try and get her to take some pics. We'll see if that photography degree she has is worth anything :biglaugh: .Still gotta checker the front strap, get new grips that are cut for a magwell, and get it all refinished (the magwell and MSH are armory coat and the rest of the gun is parked) before it'll be asthetically where I want it. Gonna add EGW fire control next...then, later on, a Scheuman barrel with a nice frame/slide tightening job. I wouldn't even worry about the barrel except that mine is a 2 piece and that just bothers me. THEN and ONLY then will I be satisfied with it! :p

· Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vader....that would be great....then if we don't like the gun pictures, we will ask for pictures of...oh....I don't know.....let's say your fiancee. Yeah...what a great idea.

Of course, I don't know anyone on this forum who would say your gun doesnt look great just too see pictures of your fiancee! Right? I mean who would do such things? :D :D :D :D

(Man I hope this guy has a sense of humor)

Dave.

· Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vader,

Well, it's good you have a sense of humor. But then, 99% of guys who have handguns do.

But seriously, please do post the gun pics when you can. I always like to look at the photos.

Of course, if a photo of your fiancee slips in, these forum users would all Private Message you as quickly as possible and let you know of your mistake.

Just a bunch of honest, church goin' guys here! Yup!!! :biglaugh:

Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.