1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Go slow.

There are three places (possibly four) where fitting is probably required. The raised center portion (where the FP protrudes through) is often times oversize. You must decrease this width slightly to allow it to push up into the slide.

The second place is the overall width of the stop itself. Remove metal from the right hand side of the stop, until it is very snug in the slide WITH the extractor in place. The end result is that your extractor should not rotate or "clock" at all in the slide.

The third area is the ejector cutout. You may need to open this notch (usually vertically) to allow no contact with the ejector as the slide cycles.

The fourth area is the radiused corners at the top. You may have to fine-tune the radius to allow the stop to slide up high enough to allow the FP to move through the hole in the stop unrestricted.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
Go slow.

There are three places (possibly four) where fitting is probably required. The raised center portion (where the FP protrudes through) is often times oversize. You must decrease this width slightly to allow it to push up into the slide.

Hi Shane, Good response.
We have not seen this in house. If you have a different dimension for this let me know how much you are thinning and we can look at making the part this way.
(of course on You raven 45 it may be a little off a colt or springfield spec :) )

The second place is the overall width of the stop itself. Remove metal from the right hand side of the stop, until it is very snug in the slide WITH the extractor in place. The end result is that your extractor should not rotate or "clock" at all in the slide.

We make the stops .482 wide. we have had 2 slides ever that .482 fit in. all others we have seen are smaller.
I would encourage you to fit the stop into the slide without the extractor first. this way you can see if the stop is tight on the extractor or the slide. Often you have to open the extractor notch up to .100 so the extractor will slide in.
Also as you are filing away, use a calliper as a portable parallel to make sure you are keeping strait.

The third area is the ejector cutout. You may need to open this notch (usually vertically) to allow no contact with the ejector as the slide cycles.

Try to leave a corner radius if you do this. the top inside corner has a radius so they do not crack into the firing pin hole.
if you have one fail with a corner radius we will replace it.

The fourth area is the radiused corners at the top. You may have to fine-tune the radius to allow the stop to slide up high enough to allow the FP to move through the hole in the stop unrestricted.
On SV slides you always have to change the corner radius.

Thanks again shane
geo

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
No problem George! Just tryin' to save you a bit of typing!

"Raven 45" huh??? Ain't that what all good rocket scientists carry? NASA-approved, you know!
:biglaugh:

About the raised center portion that I indicated may need thinning...

I have only seen it on a couple pistols, one is my Colt Commander that just needed about .002" or .003" removed to allow it to fit. The other one was on a friend's Springfield. At first, he thought the overall width of the stop was too great, so he filed and filed and filed on the outside edge and still couldn't get the sucker to slide up into the slide. I noticed that it was the raised portion that was binding. A few light file strokes on the center pad's sides and in she went. Of course you could now turn his extractor 360 degrees because he removed so much material from the outside trying to figure out why it wouldn't fit!

Regardless, I'm sure they are isolated incidents. No need to re-tool based upon my limited experiences! ;)

Good point about fitting without the extractor in place first. My bad.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks allot for the responses.. I can't wait to get it in along with the Angle bore bushing. The slide is a Colt Delta Elite..

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,051 Posts
I have both parts on my Delta, and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For some reason EGW FPS I got is to short for my SA Champion. It is not long enough to cover the slide cut all the way from top to the bottom. :bawling:
On the other hand, Wilson BP FPS (and the original one that allowed extractor to "clock") are just right.....Maybe I got a defective one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WEll they are in.. The FPS needed only filing on the side to fit in, and the bushing fit very tight withought anything, but I broke the sharp edges and pollished the entire thing so it slides into the slide a bit more smoothly.. Awsome parts!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts