1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have older Springfield, built may 91'. I replaced the recoil spring with an 18.5 that came in a Wilson custom spring kit. When it ejects the emptys it sends them about 12 to 15 feet. These are not +P loads. I have been shooting WWB 230 grn hardball mostly. Think the spring may not be the advertised rating? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
614 Posts
That recoil spring may not be up to spec. Try another. I have gotten bad springs before. It's not unheard of.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
12-15 feet is fine.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
does your gun have a long ejector?

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I wonder how many times I've wished one of my auto's would eject more than 2 feet, heh heh. I do see your point, if you gather cases it makes it difficult to find a place to shoot that doesn't toss them into the high weeds. Its ironic though to me since I've got some that toss them into my face, or drop onto my shoes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spent cases are going about the same distance with the old and new springs. My real concern is needless punishment of the frame/slide. The gun shoots very well and is reliable so I do not want to cause any damage. The spring kit came with 18.5 and 10 lb springs and I made sure to put in the correct one. I think I will order a new one from Wolfe just for peace of mind if nothing else. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. I went to the range this morning. Keeping the Wilson spring I added a shock-buff. The cases went about 8 ft average, which is about what I would expect to be optimum. BTW, it was 30 outside so my gun grease may have been thick and slowing down the slide but I had no FTF's or FTE's.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you're worried about frame battering, try a buff. I've used them before and never had a problem. I do not, however leave them installed in a carry gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts