1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new 1911 A1 loaded model that shoots fine but

After about 500 rounds I've noticed that the rear front edge of the ejection port - above the relieved scallap cut is now brass colored from ejecting cases.

Also, behind the scallop there are numerous small brass marks from where cases are bouncing off the slide.

Is this an overly tight extractor or a miss-aimed ejector or what? It's not malfunctioning so I probably shouldn't complain... still, I had a gold cup a few years ago that had a small ejection port but never hit the cases.

Thanks in advance,

Greenacre

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't know what is causing the problem but my Springfield has the same marks.It works and it doesn't through brass in my face so it doesn't bother me.My other .45's get the same marks.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't mean to send "me too" posts but my Loaded Springfield does the same thing. I've got about 1000 rounds through it now and have noticed the same marks you mention....not a lot of them but a few. I've also replaced the recoil spring with a 18.5# spring. My brass still flies in the direction of about 4:00 about 6 feet away from the gun. My cases show no signs of dings.....I don't worry about the problem. I also wouldn't say my extractor is overly tight either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gun is marking the slide and denting the empties and that I don't want.

I took the gun apart and tried the garage mechanic extractor tension test - ie with the slide off the gun put a loaded round into the extractor so that it grabs the round... according to everything I've read, this should hold the round snugly so that you can turn the slide in any direction and the round stays put. It should also resist light shakes of the slide... Mine wouldn't hold the round at all. It just fell right out.

If it is too tight, from my understanding, you'll start seeing failures to feed or the round will feed but the claw will not be grabbing the case.

If it's too loose you'll see eradic ejection and failures to eject. I'm not jamming but the cases are going everywhere and are denting. In my case, the round would not stay seated in the test. I then adjusted the tension up on the extractor and it now ejects firmly and predictably. It is pretty snug in the extractor channel, and I'll need to fire it a bunch more to insure that it hasn't harmed reliability. Unfortunately, the round still is not held very tightly. I think that there is too much pad on my extractor --- i.e. the claw of the extractor is sitting to far out and needs to be closer to the center line of the gun.

I may just purchase a wilson bullet proof extractor, but that one will probably also need the same adjustment.

If anyone has any suggestions please throw them in. I am new to the whole 1911 game and enjoy fixing things that arn't broken.

Greenacre

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My Champion and my Kimber do the same thing. They do not however dent the brass. all I have is a little brass color on one spot of the ejection port.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I ALWAYS change out the factory extractor to Wilson Bulletproof, before I even fire a new gun. Yes, they will need to be tuned (usually) but I have found that once they are tuned, they hold their tension a lot longer than the factory piece would. The Wilson piece also seems to give more consistent extraction/ejection.

You may be able to shape the nose of the ejector slightly as well, in order to have the brass clear the ejection port better. If you are looking at the ejector from the top of the frame down, you may consider slightly bevelling the nose of the ejector to a 45 degree angle with a small file. Do not change the overall length, just add a slight angle to the nose where the brass contacts it. (The angle faces the ejection port.)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
When I first got my Springfield, I did the extractor test before even firing the gun. Mine also felt a bit soft and I increased the tension on it. I also found that it seemed that if I wanted more tension, I would have had to file the "pad". Using 200gr loads, mine would hold the case for the most part when the slide was moved around.

I've since put over 1000 rounds through the gun through 5 different original McCormick Shooting Star mags and have yet to have a FTF of any kind...however as previously mentioned, I do have some of the brass "ding" marks on the slide but no dents in the cases.

Originally posted by greenacre:

I took the gun apart and tried the garage mechanic extractor tension test - ie with the slide off the gun put a loaded round into the extractor so that it grabs the round... according to everything I've read, this should hold the round snugly so that you can turn the slide in any direction and the round stays put. It should also resist light shakes of the slide... Mine wouldn't hold the round at all. It just fell right out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts