1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two new Ed Brown pistols. One is a Class A Limited Government, and the other is a Class A Limited Commander Bob Tail.

I had a lot of problems with FTF on the full size the first time that I shot it. See my range report. Talked to Ed and he sent me a new recoil spring.

I fired both guns today. The Government fed ball ammo much better than before, but still had a couple FTF and didn't go into battery a couple of times. I have about 250 rounds thru it now. The Bob Tail worked flawlessly. About 150 rounds of FMJ. This is the first time that I have shot this gun.

My real question here is that both guns were ejecting brass straight back into my forehead and a little to the right of my head on numerous occasions. Any ideas of what the cause could be and what I may do about it?

Most ammo was factory ball. I did put some Federal Hydro Shoks through both of them, and honestly can't remember if the brass hit me or not with these loads.

I didn't have the time to shoot either gun as much as I would have liked, but do feel that they both will require more of a break-in.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There have been many threads on the forum that address erratic ejection. May I suggest you use the `search' feature, and peruse those threads first? You will probably find what you're looking for there.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the information. Hope that I can do this myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but have never done anything to a pistol other than shoot it and clean it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
There's another area you might want to have a look at. Check the height of the ejection port wall. Gold Cups are set at .475 and Les Baer uses .430. I usually make mine .450 because I think .475 is a bit high and .430 doesn't leave much metal at a critical point. If yours is a bit high, you will have to either lower it or do some careful tuning on the ejector itself...which, by the way, is what actually controls the ejection angle. If the nose of the ejector hits the base of the case too high, it'll throw the case out to the right at too severe an angle (like 90 degrees) and it'll bounce off the ejection port wall and come straight back to your forhead. If the case hits the ejector too low, it'll throw the spent case more straight up and back (to your head). So you need to arrive at a happy medium. You can do this with a file, if your pistol has an extended ejector. If it doesn't, it might pay to install one.
I don't get to this topic very often so if you want any more info, just use my profile and email me direct.

A

·
0 Posts
My observation on this subject>

I have owned a couple of different Colt
Enhanced Gov Models. They have the modified ejection ports, lowered and faired back.
Both of these pistols dinged the hell out of the brass. The one I still have dinged the hell out of the brass until I installed and tuned a new ejector.

My 50 years+ old Sistema with its standard port ejects cleanly. My first Series 80 Colt had a standard height port and it would eject cleanly.

My custom stock Colt Officer's ACP "Enhanced" dinged the hell out of my brass until I installed an Ed Brown guide rod and plug kit.

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If Ed Brown is still making his barrels the way he made mine, FTF and failure to go fully into battery, with a resultant "3 point jam", can be caused by a sharp angle on the mouth of the chamber. This is just at the point where the throating ends and the chamber begins at the bottom of the barrel. That angle needs to be radiused. Not a lot, mind you, just enough so the transition between the throating and the chamber is rounded off, not sharp. Then you need to polish it. I got this from one of the American Gunsmith Institute tapes, and until I did it to my Brown "drop in" barrel, my Springfield would fail to go into battery at least once out of every ten shots. I had removed the barrel and stored it until I saw that little trick. When I examined it, there was the sharp transition.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, I have not had the oportunity to fire these guns since the last report. I plan on putting at least 400 more rounds through both guns and see what happens. Will check that barrel throat radius too, and then if necessary start on the extractor and ejector.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts