1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the forum, thought this might be the best place for help.
just got an EFS, really like the feel of it. went out shooting the other morning w/ some PMC ammo.
i used the two factory mags and a chip "power 10". after the last shot, from the power 10 mag, the case jammed back into the mag slightly. needed to get the leatherman out and pull it out. with the factory mags, most of the time after the last shot, the case just sat there. i was able to tilt the gun and dump it out. but twice, w/ the factory mags, the last case was ejected straight back into my forehead, rude awakening!
the slide always locked open after the last shot ok.
this is my first 1911, don't know much more than basic dissassembly, very basic. gunsmithing skills are at a novice level.
any info will be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
probably the extractor. put in a ed brown or wilson, "tension" it per the wilson instruction. should be ok. sounds like the extractor it too loose and allowing the spent cartridge case to slip down and then the "yanked" back into the lips of the mag.
mine did that also on the last spent cartidge. the ed brown extractor fixed it. no failures. mcole

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mcole, thanks for the info.
how hard was it to replace? not much experience.
how do you replace it? again, not much experience.
thanks again, whiteness

·
Registered
249 Posts
look up to the top of this page and click on the m1911.org then click of the ".45" the click on "technical tips" in the left column, scan down the page some 1/2 half way down to "extractor install and tuning" by bill wilson. if you have any mechanical ability all, you can do it; if not , find a smith knowledable with 1911's. your can't really screw it up if you take your time and follow the instructions. you can find either the ed brown or wilson combat web sites with a search engine. i prefer the ed brown parts. i put in a ed brown extractor, firing pin, firing pin stop and wolfe recoil and firing pin springs. my daly fs is flawless. mcole

·
Banned
65 Posts
whiteness--
I replaced pretty much the same parts on my EFS and it does great. Be aware that the firing pin spring supplied on the CD is for California drop test and is about 7 times what it needs to be.
In other words, be carefull when removing it....be wearing goggles because it will want to shoot out to the ceiling!
The replacement firing pin spring will go in very easily.
I replaced my extractor in fear that the stock one will break as many people have said. You could try to tune yours but it may break being a "cast" part. You also have the ability to send the gun to CD and get them to fix it for free if you bought the gun new and have registered on-line with CD.
Another word: I have found that the supplied mags [Megar] are best. I have tried the infamous Wilson Combat and got several jams but the CD supplied mags work great!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mcole, bgriffith, thanks alot for the help!!
may take awhile but i'll give your suggestions a try.
i'll let you know what happens.
thanks again,
whiteness

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I would suggest looking at an AFTEC extractor. Their tension in done by springs and they do not require tuning. The only down side is you will pay over $60 for one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts