1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kimber Pro CDP II is now spitting the last case of a mag straight to my face, no others, just the last case and it does it at the end of a full mag or one with just 2 rounds to start with. I checked it this morning and it has just started this the last 3 or 4 mags full during range drills. I have somewhere around 2000 rounds or more on the original spring set. I know it is time to strip this one to the frame and replace the springs, deep clean etc.

This is a Professional 4" bull barrel, captured RS/guide rod/ reverse plug configuration and I am thinking to replace this with the WC BP Flat Wire set up, replace the FPS with a flat bottom FPS and spring replace and a new hammer spring while I am in there.

But this might not address the situation with the face brass, from reading the extractor sticky and other posts concerning this issue I have no clear view of how to fix this sudden problem.

Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated, this is my current favorite pistol and it has always been 100%

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
My Kimber Pro CDP II is now spitting the last case of a mag straight to my face, no others, just the last case and it does it at the end of a full mag or one with just 2 rounds to start with. I checked it this morning and it has just started this the last 3 or 4 mags full during range drills. I have somewhere around 2000 rounds or more on the original spring set. I know it is time to strip this one to the frame and replace the springs, deep clean etc.

This is a Professional 4" bull barrel, captured RS/guide rod/ reverse plug configuration and I am thinking to replace this with the WC BP Flat Wire set up, replace the FPS with a flat bottom FPS and spring replace and a new hammer spring while I am in there.

But this might not address the situation with the face brass, from reading the extractor sticky and other posts concerning this issue I have no clear view of how to fix this sudden problem.

Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated, this is my current favorite pistol and it has always been 100%
You can try this test to see if its your extractor put several rounds in your magazine place magazine in your pistol chamber one round then drop your magazine out. Fire that round and see where the empty brass goes to. Keep doing this till your magazine is empty if its throwing brass in the same direction and not into your face most likely your extractor and ejector are good if not that’s would be a good place to start looking.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
First new recoil spring. Since your gun is a shorter model the recoil spring needs to be changed more often.

If that does not address your issue then the extractor test. Load a round from your mag, remove the mag then fire the round. Do this 10 times. If the brass ejects fine your extractor is good. If the brass dribbles out of the gun or falls out the magwell your extractor is losing control of the brass as it extractors. The top round in the magazine gives support to the extracted round and masks this issue until your at the last round.

If your gun fails the extractor test you need to replace your extractor. If it passes look at your ejector. The face of the ejector could have become damaged/bent somehow and changed the way it strikes the base of the case as it's being extracted.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
"If your gun fails the extractor test you need to replace your extractor."

No.
It likely just needs tuned and/or tensioned.
I've been told different things so nothing like asking a true expert.

If an extractor starts having issues, say after 2000 rounds like the OPs, can it be retensioned/tuned? Or should it just be replaced. I've been told once it goes bad tuning/retensioning is just a temporary fix, as it will need to be adjusted more and more frequently.

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,916 Posts
I can think of several reasons for replacement:
  • metal fatigue/breakage
  • cracks/fractures
  • misfit
Others would certainly know, but if it fits, then it needs tension - if both those fail, it can really only be "broken" and require replacement, fitting and tension.

·
Registered
Colt Ser 70, Colt M1911A1, Remington Rand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact
333 Posts
Being left eyed, I get cases ejected to my face every once in a while no matter what pistol or rifle I'm using. Only my Colt Sporter II HBAR with the molded in deflector keeps them away from my face. I remember when I was a LT and CPT with M16A1s with no deflector, I always came away from the range with a half dozen or more circles burnt into my right cheek. There were snap in deflectors that snapped into the carry handle, but there were never enough to go around.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advise on this one. I have 3 8 round mags loaded, one with my range loads of 5.4g 231 and 200g Summers cast bullets, one with my SD loads of 200g XTPs over 6.1g N320 and one loaded with Sig Factory 200g V Crowns to test with. I will load and drop the mag before each shot and document the ejection patterrn to eliminate as many variables as possible

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hello @Chance-dg
It sounds to me like your extractor is losing control of the spent cases from your description.
When the magazine has more rounds in it, the next round in the mag keeps the spent case from falling off the extractor off the bottom. When the magazine is empty, the follower is a bit lower and the spent case falls a bit lower off the extractor hook and hits the ejector differently.
You can try re-tensioning your extractor but if it used to work and has now failed on a fairly new gun, I would suggest getting a new extractor because a properly working extractor should not fail very quickly. It might be a MIM part and while i don't just hate MIM, there are some parts that should not be made that way.

- Ivan.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ivan, this is an older gun and has several thousand or close to it, trouble free rounds thru it. This issue has just starting to occur last 4 or 5 mags.

I used to use only 7 rounders in this one as that is Kimbers capacity for this model. 8 rounder WC8 round 47s used to not fit with the slide closed. Over time I have developed the habit of always loading my 1911s from slide lock only as this is what I would have in a mag change situation.

I have started to add into my drills a mag change before the pistol runs dry.and the Kimber accepts all of mine now with the slide closed.regardless of brand or capacity. I am glad as I hated going thru all my mags to figure out which ones work with this Kimber as I really like it and like carrying it.

I have 3 mags loaded with different power levels of loads so I can narrow down the problem if there is a problem. and all loads will be shot with no mag in the pistol.

It is pouring rain out now and 100 degrees out so I am waiting to do this one.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
A GI 1911 .45acp pistol should work properly, and hold the slide back after the last round is fired and not flip the case into your face. It is very difficult to diagnose this problem without knowing more about the gun.

However, I had a 1911 .45acp pistol that had erratic ejection patterns, but I was shooting very light loads with 200 gr. LSWC bullets when competing in NRA out door Bullseye competition. Once in a while I would get a brass thrown back into my face.

I ended up placing an extended ejector in the gun, but the nose was only about 1/4" long. I was then able to shape the nose so the rounds would leave the ejection port faster and on a lower launch angle. I was able to achieve very consistent ejection over my right shoulder, and none near my face. Attached is a graphic that shows how to modify the nose of an extended ejector to change the launch angle out of the slide ejection port.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for this attachment, one more cup of coffee and I am going to run this Kimber thru it's paces and find out if I actually have a problem with it.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Thank you for this attachment, one more cup of coffee and I am going to run this Kimber thru it's paces and find out if I actually have a problem with it.
Just remember that if this is a new problem on a gun that was working fine... mag, springs and extractor tension are probably the things you need to investigate first. Keep the files in the toolbox!

Also didn't you say you just started trying a new load? Does that coincide with the eject to the face?

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YesI I did, I am running thru 24 rounds of 3 totally different loadings to try to nail down if I have an issue at all. Monsoon rains out yesterday so finishing a cup of coffee and headed to the deck to try them out.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
8 rounds of factory Sig 200g V Crowns, 8 rounds of 200g XTPs over 6.1g N320 and 8 rounds of 200g summers over 5.4g 231, It may not take 8 rounds of each to determine if I have an issue. so here goes!

While I had 2 distinct piles of spent cases depending on the load, all ejected to my right from 3 to 5 oclock with no brass over my head or in my face. The Sig factory brass went the farthest at 5 oclock and about 6 feet away, my XTP loads were close to them and my loads of 200g cast landed about 3 feet away at 3 oclock.

So the follower on the Tac 8 round mags is giving the last case a boost ejecting.

What a great test for ejector and extractor tension. My Kimber is fine for now.

There was no discernable feel in recoil between the Sig 200g factory SD loads and my XTP defense loads.

I am a happy camper again!

While I am sure some slight adjustment is there, I am not breaking out any files to do it.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me too APG,Thanks. I hadn't used those tac mags for a while and just happened to load them up for a bit of shooting. They are not my favorite mags and I only have 2 of them. This is a great test and I am glad I did it for this one. I am going to stick with my proven mags for the Kimber and quit sweating this. The 5.6g to 5.8 g loads of 231 cleaned right up the 5.4g smoky issue. So I have resolved 2 questions I had about both this pistol and my range loads.

And it gave me the opportunity to shoot more Ha Ha I do favor this Kimber over the other 1911s in my little collection for now. and it reinforces the WC order I have in for a ULC Pro as they are both the same configuration. Just different chamberings. I am sticking with the 38 Super in the WC build and the aluminum frame. I am happy with my choice and this just reinforces it.
And gives me a reason to strip and clean it today.i am sticking with these WC Grips for now as i really like the feeling better
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me too APG,Thanks. I hadn't used those tac mags for a while and just happened to load them up for a bit of shooting. They are not my favorite mags and I only have 2 of them. This is a great test and I am glad I did it for this one. I am going to stick with my proven mags for the Kimber and quit sweating this. The 5.6g to 5.8 g loads of 231 cleaned right up the 5.4g smoky issue. So I have resolved 2 questions I had about both this pistol and my range loads.

And it gave me the opportunity to shoot more Ha Ha I do favor this Kimber over the other 1911s in my little collection for now. and it reinforces the WC order I have in for a ULC Pro as they are both the same configuration. Just different chamberings. I am sticking with the 38 Super in the WC build and the aluminum frame. I am happy with my choice and this just reinforces it.
And gives me a reason to strip and clean it again today.

I managed to put it back together on the first try this time due to the captured guide rod/ spring. It usually takes several attempts to get it right. I call it Wilber because of the combination of Wilson and Kimber parts. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts