1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have been having an ejection problem with my Colt Sistema. The brass ejects straight back toward my head, and the last round gets the case head stuck under the feed lips or gets pinched between the ejection port and the barrel. The case mouth is always chewed up.

I have changed recoil springs, adjusted the extractor to several different ranges of tensions from very light to very heavy. I have even tried another tuned extractor to no avail. The gun just keeps throwing brass straight back and hanging up on the last round. I am using UMC 230gr. FMJ. I have also used a variety of different mags. I have come to believe it is my ejector. This post further varifies that suspicion.
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000254.html

In comparing the Sistema ejector to my Springfield Loaded ejector, I noticed the Sistima one is a lot shorter and angled toward the rear of the slide. Is this normal? I believe what is happening is the last round doesn't have the support of another round below it and therefore has more downward droop. When it hits the angled ejector, it is ejected downward instead of upward somehow.

Would a longer ejector fix this problem? Would an extended ejector work even better? Maybe it is the angle of the ejector. I believe filing the angle off would make the ejector too short.

I must say this pistol has given me quite a bit of frustration. I cannot stand having a gun that malfunctions. Not only is it unreliable, it has an 11 pound trigger pull, extremely loose slide to frame fit, cheap plastic grips,tiny sights,shoots a foot high at 25 yds, has pitting in the metal, and generally looks like it has had the crap shot out of it on the inside.

I would really appreciate some help or advice in this matter. Besides adjusting extractors and detail stripping, I have never done any work on 1911's.Almost everything I know comes from reading this forum. If I can get this thing reliable, I am plannng on installing a new trigger and sights.

Check out the Sistmea ejector below.

Regards,
Josiah

[This message has been edited by Bocefus (edited 11-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bocefus (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hi Bocefus...
Have you tried any other ammunition than the UMC yellow box? I notice that when I use it in any of my 1911s, the case gets chewed up upon feeding. Have you tried any other ammo like Winchester 230grn White Box? Just a thought.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used some 230gr. handloads, and got the same results. The only round that gets chewed up is the last one in the mag. I don't believe it would be a ammo problem.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
That is a normal GI-style ejector, which all full-size .45s used until the long ejector became popular in custom pistols. The ejector shouldn't be the problem. I think the first thing in order is a new set of springs. Also experiment with different magazines to see if that affects it.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a new Wolff recoil spring, and I tried 5 different mags that worked flawlessly with my Springfield Loaded model. I still get the last round failure. This one has me stumped if that ejector is normal. It is not loose BTW.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Well, if it's not the extractor, springs or magazine then I suspect improper barrel linkdown. What barrel is in it? If the barrel isn't cleanly disengaging from the slide lugs or dropping down all the way that might cause it. I once had a Series 70 with a linkdown problem. The spent case simply wouldn't eject and would ride up over the ejector without being thrown clear. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until realizing the barrel bushing wouldn't allow the barrel to drop down all the way.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a simple way of seeing if that is the case? When I draw the slide back, the barrel seems to move downward okay. When comparing to the Springfield, it looks and feels the same. I will dissasemble it tommorow and see if the barrel fits the lugs correctly. I do have to say the barrel bushing is very tight. I have to use a bushing wrench and pound it out with the end of the wrench. Maybe it is too tight. It is a stock GI barrel, I believe...

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Did it come with that bushing originally? You might want to drop in a loose GI bushing and see if it doesn't solve both the unreliability and high point-of-aim issues. A tight match barrel can do wonders for group sizes, but not if it is poorly fitted.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Bocefus

I have a Sistema, and I have had this situation as well. In my case there were three things going on, the extractor, the ejector, and the pistol's finish.

As you have mentioned, part of the issue you are having is when the last round is fired and there is nothing in the magazine to help push this round out of the way. So the empty does some weird things, even getting caught between the barrel and ejection port. Mine actually put the empty back in the chamber a couple of times.

The first thing I suggest you do is shoot your pistol to make sure the slide/frame rails, barrel bushing, and barrel/slide lugs are worn in properly. I know this seems strange for a surplus pistol with a loose slide to frame fit. But my pistol came refinished from the arsenal, so everything really needed to be worn in again just like it was new. In your case it may be possible that your pistol was refinished as well. So there may be quite a bit a friction between the frame and slide which slows the slide during recoil, and means there is not quite enough velocity to really kick the last case out.

My pistol would launch an empty straight back into my forehead as well, and the fix lies in both the extractor and the ejector. As dsk mentioned you have the stock ejector for a GI pistol. Though I noticed that yours is a bit short. Notice the gap between the top of the magazine chute and the ejector. This looks a bit big to me, though there is always some gap. Also, in my pistol the top front corner of the ejector became worn so the kick was not quite at the angle it should have been. This resulted in getting beaned unless I used standard rated (16 lb) springs and/or a little more energetic ammo.

The issue with the extractor is not just the tension, which sounds like you have tried most everything, but how the extractor holds the case rim. Specifically, look to how the lower edge of the extractor hook is beveled where it holds the rim. You may need to bevel the extractor hook up from the bottom a bit more.

In my case, making sure the the extractor hook was beveled and replacing the ejector with an extended one did the trick. Though several months later, when I cleaning my pistol after a range session, I noticed that one of the lower barrel lugs was cracked. So dsk's comments concerning the barrel should be checked out.

Concerning the trigger pull, a heavy trigger pull is rather normal for a military pistol. Particularly for one that was intended to be issued to rank and file troops, since you really want them to be sure about pulling the trigger. So the mating angles between the hammer and sear are probably not optimum and will need to be adjusted by a smith if you want it improved. Another thing to look at, is the finish inside your frame. If your frame was refinished, it might be very rough inside where the trigger bow, hammer and sear rub against the frame, all of which will affect your preceived trigger pull. These surfaces might need some smoothing. But try wearing your pistol in first.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I checked out the barrel lockup very carefully, and everything seemed to fit fairly well. I beveled the forward part of the locking lugs a little per this sight: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

Just a little bevel really made a difference. I also noticed a little roughness on top of the barrel hood, so I will also polish that area. With the recoil tube and spring out, the barrel bushing seems to have a fairly loose fit, so I don't think that is a problem. My pistol is refinished, but the slide draws back very smoothly. I don't believe there is any extra friction there.

What I plan to do is install an extended ejector, polish the rails, breachface, and feedramp, tune the extractor, and lower the ejection port if necessary. I believe those steps should take care of the problem. I will post the results within a week or so. Please let me know if anyone else has any suggestions.

Regards,
Josiah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts