1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since JMB invented the 1911 the ejector has been pinned in place. Now a maker has been Lock-Titeing them in place.

Since the ejector has two legs to hold it in place and since they just don't fall out of the frame when the cross pin is removed and since the only time that it could be removed from the frame is when the slide has been removed does it have to be pinned or Lock-Tited to the frame?

I am not going to drift out the cross pin and carry w/o it there but is it really needed?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That pin is really necessary Jim. When the case slams into the ejector, it hits pretty hard and unless the pion is in tight, the ejector will move a little. It'll keep moving a little until it breaks and in the interim you'll have erratic ejection. I assume you're talking about current production SA's as they're the only one I know doing that kind of securing.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
I am not going to drift out the cross pin and carry w/o it there but is it really needed?
Yup, for the reason's Bob mentioned, and to reiterate... The case hits the nose VERY hard... I am sure you have noticed that one leg is much longer than the other... The reason for this is simply because of the amount of force that is occurring at the moment of contact with the ejector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
my new lawyer proof ( mainspring lock) Springfield does not have a ejector pin. I'v only put about 500 rnds throug it so far, time will tell. I'd much rather have it pinned. WHEN it shoots loose, I'll just drill a pin hole for it. Reckon SA figured it could save a machining step. that's too bad.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts