1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ejector on my 1991a1 is loose and I am going to change it. Looked around the web to find R & R info but was having a hard time.

Looks like the pin gets drifted out of the slide rails and the ejector comes out. Is this correct?

Also, I have read to install the new ejector using Locktite and a new pin. Good idea or not? I don't know if I like the idea of having something "glued" into place and having to heat it up for future removal.

Last question, does anyone have a way to restake the plunger tube. Mine is a little loose and I want to tighten it up before it comes off. I can't justify spending $35- $50 for a special tool.

Thanks for all of the help.

Ron

·
Registered
645 Posts
Klutz -

1)The pin does drife out using a 1/16 pin punch. Punch it out from the laef side. Quite often the pin almost falls out once it clears the Ejector notch.

2)Use Guntite made by Locktite to install the new ejector. You do not have to heat Guntite for removal. It does glue the part in but at the same time is easilly removed. Use solid ejector pins if you can. They are made better than roll pins and only cost .75 cents each from Brownells.

3) The only proper way to stake the plunger tube on is with a "staking Tool". If you do not want to spend $19.95 for the tool from Brownells than have someone do it for you. They will probably carge you just as much as the tool cost. Make sure they put "Red Locktite" behind the plunger tube. I have never had them loosten this way.

Just my .02 centavos
MadDog

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Maddog for the input.

I changed the ejector last night, gotta go to the range tomorrow to see which way the empty brass falls.

I also found a guy at work that had a plunger tube crimper adn he let me use it. Now it is nice and tight.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts