1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd point out to those who don't already know that an aftermarket extractor is another part that doesn't fit correctly on CDs.

I attempted to install an Ed Brown extended ejector today and found that, like an aftermarket extractor, it extends well past the frame of my EFS. This will be a bit more difficult to shorten due to the slight contour, but will hardly be impossible. I didn't feel like working on it, so I just put the old part back in until I feel the urge for some metal work.

I also tried a USGI standard ejector and found it had the same problem.

I'm sort of surprised this hasn't been mentioned already since many of you have, or are in the process of replacing the important cast parts on your pistols. This ranks as #2 in importance in my opinion.

BTW: I'm past 9500 rounds with no problems so far. I did a bit of trigger work last night and improved the pull some, but that Wilson trigger really needs a new hammer, disconnector, and sear. Matter of fact, it also needs a new Wilson trigger since the ne I installed had been fitted to another 1911 and doesn't fit perfectly to the CD frame.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Could you post a pic? My CD has an extended ejector and it does extends past the frame. About 5mm from the magazine hole. My CD is in 9mm hi-cap.

Or its probably me who can't picture what you're trying to point.

vega

·
Registered
116 Posts
WP, I take it that functionally the extractor and ejector will work, but they protrude from the rear of the slide?

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AKM

You are exactly right. It's a bit too ugly for my taste.

vega

I can't make any promises of exactly when, but I'll take and post a picture when I do the final fitting. I'm thinking of working on it this weekend.

Now that I've reread your post, I think I know what you're talking about. The ejector that comes with the pistol is an extended version and does extend into the mag well. What I'm talking about is the other end that normally fits flush with the frame and slide.

I'm going to go ahead and admit that the factory ejector has lasted perfectly for 9500 rounds, so personal preference may be my only reason for changing to an aftermarket ejector. Perhaps the trigger, hammer, sear, and disconnector are the only parts that really NEED to be replaced, and that's more related to getting a better trigger pull than functionablity.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 08-22-2001).]

·
Registered
671 Posts
WP,
No need to post a pic. I picture it now after reading AKM's post. The extractor that I bought (for .45 cal) also protrude at the back of the slide. Lot's of filing remedied this. However, for the ejector, I haven't replaced it yet.

vega

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe that you will find that most aftermarket ejectors will need some conturing when they are fitted on any and all versions of the 1911..Some more than others..

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've installed at least 12 Ed brown extended ejectors on various Colts with no fitting needed. The average run of the mill USGI ejector will do the same thing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just put a Wilson Combat extended ejector in my MS yesterday.
I had to file the back to fit the contour
of the slide and frame...and I had to file
a little off of the top to fit the slide so
it wouldn't rub. Also had to drill out the rear post hole in the frame. It was just a little too small.Cut a notch in the front
post of the ejector for the new pin...a little cold blue...done.

No more FTE,no stove pipe,no getting hit in the head with brass.
Just for a half hour of work and $25 bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts