1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just picked up an El Cabo for $900 even. It is in perfect condition. Looking at this gun you can tell he got a very very very good deal on it. Anybody have any idea how much this gun is actually worth? He also has an El Ray, he was asking me how much that was worth too. Thanks ya'll.

·
Registered
23,212 Posts
I think I know what they are, but a picture would help a lot. If they are what I think they are then they would be most valuable in the SW near the Mexican border.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Should be a Lew Horton piece from 1999. Bright Stainless, 38 super with 350 units made. Original MSRP was 1200, so I think 900 is really good.

The El Rey should be also hi-polish blue and bright stainless from 2001 with 350 units made. Original MSRP was 1050.

I believe the EL series from Colt and Lew Horton command pretty big money.......however, one does not have to be in the SW near Mexico for them to have more value in my opinion.

How bout some pics?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll do my best with the pictures. I may not be seeing the dude again until christmas. They are both high polish stainless and 38 super. The El Rey is approx. 10 years old now he said. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
23,212 Posts
To sell these guys I would go Inet unless you live in San Antonio, Dallas, Tucson, San Diego, etc. To get a value for insurance; good luck.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Value will depend on condition and accessories...the box. With the El series guns if they are "used" and the box is gone they don't bring a lot more than a standard Colt...more but not much. A few months ago I picked up a 90s vintage one called the "El Potro" (The Colt in Spanish) which is a high polish blue Combat Commander. It had been shot little and carried a little...no box, no paperwork...on GunsAmerica for $850 as I recall. If that gun had been NIB would have probably pushed a grand more.

Best way to check on the price of a certain "El" series gun is to do a search over on GunBroker.com on auctions that have ened in the last 90 days. That will show what something sold for rather than these Sellers who ask $5k for something that never sells.

Bob

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ps...

...some clowns out there are doing non-"El" knockoffs...some of them look like they have been engraved with a electric marking engraver, the kind you put your drivers license on the back of your tv with. There are tons of them over on GB.

The two real Colt made Els over there sold between $1600-2000.

Bob

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Sgt Art said:
Sounds like where you go when you get Montezuma's Revenge.

...true..but in this case the gun is definately not a POS....:)

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts