1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which brand (in your user's opinion) offers the best features for your money. And im talking on the upper side of budget but not top dollar either, if you know what i mean. Im not looking to skimp on ear protection but, i dont want to pay 350dollars either. --Personal experiences please--

Thanks
Figs

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I've been using Pro Ears Dimension 1 for several years, I've never had any trouble with them. I like the NRR33 of the Gold series .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Peltor tactical, 6S behind the neck. Love'em. Got them for $100 locally but shootersconnection has them for $69.00!!!!!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Midway USA has some I think Peltor electronic muffs on sale now half price... They look like great muffs. The regular price is about 60.00 bucks now 30.00....
I myslef like electrinic muffs but the NR is no where near what regular plugs are.... I suggest if you use electronic muffs back them with plugs...

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
I have Howard Leight Impact Sports, they were like $60.00. I like them.

Or for under $5 you can go with:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've had two sets of peltors. I loved the first set, I just wore them out from use and shot trap in down pouring rain too many times. The set I have now are the same thing, but they have the behind the head band- I don't like this, not nearly as comfortable as the standard over the head type IMO.

They work good for shotguns and 22's. for pistols and rifles I wear plugs undernieth.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Bought a set of Peltor Tac7s from Dillon when they were just getting started and selling a lot of other vendor's products. That was quite a few years ago and the Tac 7s are still going strong.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have Howard Leight Impact Sports, too. Good to shoot with and comfy too. I had to wear them for 8 hours at work one day. We had a drilling co. bore and sleeve an 18" hole for an elevator piston inside a building we're remodeling. I couldn't believe how loud this oversized hammer drill was. I turned the muffs on low and it blocked out most of the clatter, turned them up to talk to others. I was even able to talk on the Nextel to someone outside. ( Muffs turned way up, lots of background noise, but still, to hear a nextel over all that, they got my vote )

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
X2... I love them... Ron

I have Howard Leight Impact Sports, too. Good to shoot with and comfy too. I had to wear them for 8 hours at work one day. We had a drilling co. bore and sleeve an 18" hole for an elevator piston inside a building we're remodeling. I couldn't believe how loud this oversized hammer drill was. I turned the muffs on low and it blocked out most of the clatter, turned them up to talk to others. I was even able to talk on the Nextel to someone outside. ( Muffs turned way up, lots of background noise, but still, to hear a nextel over all that, they got my vote )

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'll add another + for Peltor Tac-7. Mine is nineteen years old and has only one "problem". I drug it across a jacket in the back seat of my car and pulled the foam cover off of the microphone element on one side (could replace it, but just have not taken the time).

In nineteen years with these and I'm very happy.

Do be careful, no matter what brand you buy. When shooting inside, turn them off. The electronics are just releasing (starting to amplify again) as the echo reaches you. Not as bad as none, but not really comfortable - - AND it is with all brands. - - - I use a custom molded plug plus the Peltor Ultima-10 for inside ranges. That gives you 60db of protection (you get more noise in from your mouth and nose than from your ears).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hearing protection value

Pro Ears.

Buy the best you can afford, hearing loss is permanent.
Totally agree!

Ordered my replacement hearing aids after 5 years with first set.

On sale at $4500 for the pair. Not top of the line either.

The price I pay now for not using ear protection when I was young.

Starkey S-5 are new one's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
totally agree!

Ordered my replacement hearing aids after 5 years with first set.

On sale at $4500 for the pair. Not top of the line either.

The price i pay now for not using ear protection when i was young.

Starkey s-5 are new one's.
ok, im sold.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts