1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been wanting to purchase an electronic scale for pistol loads. Which ones that are LOW COST do you fellow reloaders recommend. Being married I'm on a very tight budget. I've been leaning towards the LYMAN ($100); however, I'm open to suggestions. Now I'm using a LYMAN balanced beam scale. I load in my garage (wife owns rest of house) and when I turn on a fan the scale goes beserk. My choice is to sweat or load accurate. Need maximum accuracy in the 4 to 20 grain range.

Mark

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use a Midway Quick Draw electronic scale, and it has worked well. Midway puts them on sale once in a while. I would look for a scale with 0.1 grain resolution in the range you mention. I would add that a fan will still give you problems. A scale, whether balance beam or electronic, is designed to respond to a mass (force?) on the pan. A breeze will exert a force and result in a reading. I turn off the ceiling fan while I am reloading and using the scale. Depending upon how many rounds you are loading, you may want to consider a powder measure. Once you calibrate the measure for a given amount of a given powder, you only use the scale as a confirmation that the volume of the powder measure has not changed, about once each 20 to 30 rounds. My powder measure is also a Midway, and it seems to work well. A powder measure in combination with your balance beam may be a viable alternative to a new scale; however, I'll have to admit that I bought my electronic scale before I bought my powder measure. Sorry for rambling.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
That's a better suggestion. As long as you're using a powder that will meter well (or are willing to change), a powder measure is the way to go.

My Fisher scale reads gains to 4 decimal places and the ceiling fan must definitely be off to use it. Breathing msut also be directed away from the scale. I have a even higher dollar scale with a glass enclosure available that I may start using. Water can't be accurately weighed on this thing as it actually shows the evaporation of the water if it's not in a closed container.

I get my measure situated with whatever scale I'm using, then fire up the ceiling fan for maximum comfort.

Personally, I prefer a beam balance for weighing powder, adn only use digital scales for weighing bullets, cases, etc..

Get a RCBS Uniflow and save $45 - $55 over the price of the digital scale.

I've found over the years that cheap scales (less than $500) just don't seem to hold up or give accurate results for very long, but I will note that this is in an industrial environment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts