1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Star News, Elk River, MN
By: Joni Astrup associate editor
["The Elk River City Council voted last week to spend $26,987 to buy 28 Kimber .45-caliber single action pistols, one for each officer in the department. The council did consider buying cheaper Springfield weapons, which would have totalled $16,764, but went with the Kimbers which were the department’s first choice.
A panel of Elk River officers had tested nine different weapons, following a process the Tacoma, Wash., police department and the Minnesota State Patrol used in selecting new weapons.
The Elk River officers rated the weapons they tested for balance, weight, perceived recoil, trigger pull, operation of controls, ability to field strip and clean, durability, reloading and reliability. The Kimber came out on top in the testing, scoring nine out of 10 points.".......
"The department’s 28 officers currently carry 10 different types of weapons"]

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's almost $1000/gun, and I assume there's an LE discount in there somewhere. I wonder what they got. Maybe Warriors?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow,

are you kidding me? The low bid didn't win the contract AND the people involved actually had imput??? I'm freakin' dizzy. :biglaugh: By God, I wonder if anyone on that council could be bribed, er,ah, convinced to move here to New York and show what common sense would be like in Government. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what model they went with?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bet it was the TLE's. I am amazed that the lower bid didn't win out, that is quite a differance in price. Kimber will be tooting their horns on this one too I'm sure. I also bet that these 28 Kimbers went through extensive work that the general public dosen't get in the production line up and will work as they should.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seven Ring said:
are you kidding me? The low bid didn't win the contract AND the people involved actually had imput??? I'm freakin' dizzy. :biglaugh: By God, I wonder if anyone on that council could be bribed, er,ah, convinced to move here to New York and show what common sense would be like in Government.
lol, no doubt. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Custom-guy said:
I bet it was the TLE's. I am amazed that the lower bid didn't win out, that is quite a differance in price. Kimber will be tooting their horns on this one too I'm sure. I also bet that these 28 Kimbers went through extensive work that the general public dosen't get in the production line up and will work as they should.
Why are you guys always trashing Kimber? Why are you on this sight if you don't like them? Go get a Llama!! I picked up a new Eclipse Custom II this week and it functioned perfectly for 70 rounds until I ran out of ammo. And it even has a, (are you ready for this?), dreaded EXTERNAL EXTRACTOR! AHHH!!I think alot more Kimbers work than don't work or they wouldn't be so popular.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ra Dog said:
Why are you guys always trashing Kimber? Why are you on this sight if you don't like them? Go get a Llama!! I picked up a new Eclipse Custom II this week and it functioned perfectly for 70 rounds until I ran out of ammo. And it even has a, (are you ready for this?), dreaded EXTERNAL EXTRACTOR! AHHH!!I think alot more Kimbers work than don't work or they wouldn't be so popular.
No offense Ra, but seventy rounds really ain't enough to determine if your pistol is going to work for you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Custom-guy said:
I bet it was the TLE's.
At $964 a pop, they're getting ripped off. Especially if it's the non-railed TLE. I'd lay better odds it's Warriors since they mentioned ease of field stripping.

·
Registered
307 Posts
DanH said:
At $964 a pop, they're getting ripped off. Especially if it's the non-railed TLE. I'd lay better odds it's Warriors since they mentioned ease of field stripping.
If I'm not mistaken, the TLE and the WARRIOR strip down the same way. They both have bushings.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
DanH said:
Something not mentioned in the original post is if the purchase price included any spare parts, extra magazines, or armourer tools. That could very well explain the total costs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is a great thing to see a governmental agency decide that "hey" spending a little more money on something may be better than saving a few bucks! HOLY CRAP! I wish I could be the Chief there! I can't get my board to spend 1,500 dollars a year for ammo! For the record my department has 7 sworn officers at present.

I carry a Kimber TLE RLII (with that also dreaded External Extractor with 1,250 rounds and no problems)

Tom

·
Registered
390 Posts
STONES_SS said:
If I'm not mistaken, the TLE and the WARRIOR strip down the same way. They both have bushings.
The TLE has a full length guide rod and the Warrior is the standard GI setup. The Warrior doesn't need any tools to take down.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
DanH said:
The TLE has a full length guide rod and the Warrior is the standard GI setup. The Warrior doesn't need any tools to take down.
I have never understood this argument. The bushing is no tighter in a full length guide rod gun and the plug can be pushed down with your finger in both styles so no tool is necessary in either one, it's easier in both styles to use a wrench but not necessary. If your finger can't push down the plug then use your magazine floor plate to push on it. No more tools are necessary on a Kimber FLGR. Springfield's have that goofy allen wrench deal on theirs but Kimber does not.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ra Dog said:
Because this is a public forum and people deserve to know what is going on with their guns! it is only trashing if it is not true. Kimber's have problems as do other manufactures. Kimber has taken the quality that they once had and traded it for greed and profit instead of more quality or atleast sustaining the quality that the had and people deserve to know what they are buying.

It is no secret that the majority of external extractors have had problems with several design changes trying to make them work better. You are suggesting that no one should talk about that or be made aware of the potential problem or problems.

Are you saying that after 70 rounds through your gun is really enough rds to say that your gun is 100%? I think that you should reserve judgement after you have a couple thousand rounds down the pipe.

Also, Kimber is so popular due to their great run of pre series II models, heavy advertisement, making their guns look real pretty, and not to mention the 40k worth of guns produced in a year put's them right in front of you in any gun shop you enter in America. Dealers are riding the advertisement carpet ride with Kimber and since the introduction of the series II models have lost many of the diehard original Kimber fans of the original Kimber models.

My Kimber is a my gun smith as I am writing this to try and get problems I've had with it worked out.

CG.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Everyone is entitled to his opinion. You guys might be a little off topic now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my Kimbers and Elk River is only 30 miles away from me. It will good to see not only Kimbers in good hands but also 1911 style guns being used by the police it's a win win for us 1911 lovers:rock:

·
Registered
207 Posts
DanH said:
Tool to take the Barrel Bushing out? I'm new to the 1911, but if I can't get it with my finger I usally use one of the magaiznes or a pen. Every Marine has an ink stick, you know.

I don't know why everyone bust's on the Kimbers either, I've put 4k rounds through my, TLE II, in 6 months. I've put alot of rappid fire on it too and taken it to the dirt a few times too. After tossing out the factory mag and getting some Wilson Combats, which I was told to do when I bought it! The only complaint I really have about it is the beaver tail keeps rusting, and most atribute that to poor operator maintence and being stored in a small safe. After 200 rounds it's time to clean it or it will jam from all the powder gunk, but that's shooting cheap winchester rounds. It seems to prefer to chamber 230 grain ball rounds, but that's what I prefer anyway and what the manual says to use too.

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with these rail mounts either? I would rather hold a sure fire in my off hand, this maybe due to military training with the M9 though.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
KC&97TA said:
Tool to take the Barrel Bushing out? I'm new to the 1911, but if I can't get it with my finger I usally use one of the magaiznes or a pen. Every Marine has an ink stick, you know.
I don't know, magazines, pens, credit cards, knives, these sound like tools to me. :) :biglaugh:

KC&97TA said:
The only complaint I really have about it is the beaver tail keeps rusting, and most atribute that to poor operator maintence and being stored in a small safe. After 200 rounds it's time to clean it or it will jam from all the powder gunk, but that's shooting cheap winchester rounds. It seems to prefer to chamber 230 grain ball rounds, but that's what I prefer anyway and what the manual says to use too.
If the safe you are using is similar to a wall or floor safe that is designed to protect papers from fire, this is probably a big contributor to your rusting issue. Most fire safes intended for papers use a ceramic that holds a lot of moisture and this will condense on metal objects. Try putting a piece of paper with a steel paper clip on it in the safe with your pistol for a week or two. If the paper picks up rust from the paperclip, the safe is the source. If this is the case your best solution is a true firearms safe.

Also, your pistol should not jam after 200 rounds, even if it is Winchester White box. 2000 rounds maybe, but not 200. Do a search in this folder and the Les Baer folder on "Break in", read the methods, and follow one of them. When you have finished this you will be amazed at how much better your pistol functions and shoots, and I am willing to bet it is pretty nice now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Str8_Shot said:
If the safe you are using is similar to a wall or floor safe that is designed to protect papers from fire, this is probably a big contributor to your rusting issue.....

Also, your pistol should not jam after 200 rounds, even if it is Winchester White box. 2000 rounds maybe, but not 200. Do a search in this folder and the Les Baer folder on "Break in", read the methods.....
Yes, my safe for the time being is a cheap 1.6 cu Sentry Safe, not ment for Fire Arms, and along with putting dirty guns away, it is poor operator maintence. About 6 months I'll have a " real gun safe ". (liveing in communist cali, I had to have something)

I did research your second paragraph; I use a light grease on my 1911, instead of oil, actually one of the recomendations I found. This maybe why my Kimber gunk's up a little quicker than most, I maybe useing too heavy of a grease? My Kimber still seams as tight as it was the day I picked it up and I'm hapy with the way it cycles, after 200 rounds w/o any problems, I'll break it down and clean it without complaints. From round 1 to 200, I'll trust my life on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts